Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Walid \"jo\" Gedeon" <wg...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/14 15:46:49 UTC

Multiproject site merge

Hello all,
I've been battling with this for a while, with no satisfaction :-p Maybe you
guys can help?

I have a multi-module project layout with a parent pom that contains the
build and reporting instructions, a subproject per artifact, and a
subproject for the main site.

  parent
    |- pom.xml
    |- subA [...]
    |- subAexample
    |    |- pom.xml (without any site instructions)
    |    |- src
    |         |- site
    |              |- apt
    |              |    |- subAexample.apt
    |              |- resources
    |                   |- images
    |                        |- ...
    |- subB [...]
    |- siteProj
         |- src
              |- site
                   |- site.xml
                   |- apt
                        |- index.apt (main site index)
                        |- ...

The goal was to have parts of the site documentation distributed in the
subprojects and then have them all merged into the main site. For example, a
sub-project is a developer guide, which comes with source (structured like
other subprojects), an apt and a few images (for the guide).
The desired outcome after say local staging would be:
  htdocs
    |- index.html
    |- ... (css, etc)
    |- subAexample
         |- subAexample.html
         |- images
              |- ...

1) Is this goal at all possible? I currently have all site related files
under the siteProj, but it would really be interesting to split them up,
2) I can't even get the apt in subAexample to generate...
   - What's the minimal requirements for the site plugin to go through the
file structure and generate apt, fml, etc?
   - Is a site.xml a requirement? Can more than one site.xml be merged?

Thanks for any hints or advice.