Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marina McGale <mc...@tcd.ie> on 2003/03/13 18:42:43 UTC

Can Tomcat 4 be configured to listen on two ports simultaneously

Hi.
I am using Tomcat 4.1.12 and would like it to listen on both port 80 and
8080 because I have already sent out URLs with 8080 in them but want to
remove the 8080 for the future (and still want everyone to be able to
access my apps).  I had tried adding another Connector for port 80 for
Tomcat running stand-alone in the server.xml file (so there are two
Connectors - one each for port 80 and 8080) and it worked on my
localhost (Windows) machine but not when I tried the same thing on
Redhat 8.  I do not have Apache running so there is no conflict between
it and Tomcat trying to listen on the same port.

Thanks for any help.

M.

Re: listen on two ports simultaneously - related question

Posted by Gabriela Mircea <ga...@utoronto.ca>.
Hi,

I am using two instances of Tomcat 4.0.6. To make them both work, I changed
ALL the ports that Tomcat uses in server.xml file (not only shutdown and
http). Make sure you don't use ports already in use by other applications.

Hope this helps. If you need more details please let me know.

Gabriela

Posted by Jeff Sexton <js...@odshp.com>.

RE: Can Tomcat 4 be configured to listen on two ports simultaneously

Posted by Dean Fantham <de...@fantham.com>.
Are you starting tomcat as root?
You will need to start as root in order to be able to bind to port 80 on
Linux (any port under 1024).

Dean