Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by patf <pa...@well.com> on 2011/10/29 20:24:48 UTC

Installing on windows.

Tried a first install on Windows (7 64 bit - but installing as 32 bits)
and didn't get very far.

Next, at work where I have a linux box, the install was pretty
straightforward with the one wrinkle of having to patch setuptools -
however it was well explained by messages from the build process.

Back on Windows.  I was able to build jcc once I got the PATH correctly
set up for both msvc 2008 and java and can import jcc in python 2.7.

When I go to build lucene however I have a GNU sytle make file that
nmake won't consume.  Nor does cygwin make seem to like it.   But then
cygwin doesn't make sense to me anyway because I used msvc 2008 for jcc.

Working around that for the moment, I found this:

http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/pylucene-extra/downloads/list

and download the lucene egg file for lucene 3.4.0 for py 2.7 which is
what I have.

First I unzip the egg to d:\python27\lib\site-packages.

Try to import in python and python doesn't find it.  Hmm.

I've used python for some time but have never installed from an egg
file.  Google it and it seems that easy_install should maybe do the
trick.  However:

> D:\Python27\Scripts>easy_install-2.7.exe lucene-3.4.0-py2.7-win32.egg
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "D:\Python27\Scripts\easy_install-2.7-script.py", line 8, in
> <module>
>     load_entry_point('setuptools==0.6c11', 'console_scripts',
> 'easy_install-2.7'
> )()
>   File "D:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line 318, in
> load_entry
> _point
>     return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
>   File "D:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line 2220, in
> load_entr
> y_point
>     raise ImportError("Entry point %r not found" % ((group,name),))
> ImportError: Entry point ('console_scripts', 'easy_install-2.7') not found
>
> D:\Python27\Scripts>

I'd still like to build lucene from source (how does msvc 2008 consume a
GNU style Makefile) but short of that getting the egg file installed
would still do the trick.

Pat