Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/08 18:09:53 UTC

SDO Databinding implementation to CXF

Just FYI, as It seems CXF is working with GSoC students to build a SDO
Databinding [1] possibly based on Tuscany SDO.

[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/review/google/gsoc2009/addsdoforcxf/t123857416449

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: SDO Databinding implementation to CXF

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wed April 8 2009 12:09:53 pm Luciano Resende wrote:
> Just FYI, as It seems CXF is working with GSoC students to build a SDO
> Databinding [1] possibly based on Tuscany SDO.
>
> [1]
> http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/review/google/gsoc2009/addsdofo
>rcxf/t123857416449

One important part of a databinding for CXF is that the "wsdl2java" tooling
plugin is part of the databinding.  Thus, the proposal can cover a wide
variety of requirements and use cases.

Basically, the wsdl2java tool in CXF supports pluggable databindings.  There
currently exists plugins for XmlBeans and JAXB (JAXB being the default for
jax-ws compatibility reasons), but is relatively easy to extend to to other
mappings.   If the databinding has a xsd -> java type tool that can be
controlled from java and produced a model or similar where we can query qname
-> classname, producing a databinding plugin for wsdl2java is relatively easy.
It took me about a week to do the xmlbeans databinding, but some of that was
just cleaning up some of the stuff that expected jaxbisms.  Subsequent
databindings should be easier.

Obviously, the GSoC proposal covers more than wsdl2java.   For CXF, we want
runtime support to then use the SDO  objects.  Basically, mapping all the
marshalling and unmarshalling stuff into the runtime, configuration, java2ws
stuff (if applicable), etc....  I mostly just wanted to mention that if the
project is accepted and is successful, not only would it be a huge new feature
for CXF, but it could also help out Tuscany.

Anyway, it's definitely an opportunity for the student to engage with both the
CXF and Tuscany communities which is definitely not a bad thing.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org