Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brad Plies <br...@bulliondirect.com> on 2004/01/14 16:31:53 UTC

Validator JavaScript displaying? Mozilla bug?

Hi folks,

I am having a problem with Mozilla, Netscape, and FireBird browsers on
pages that use
the validator JavaScript.  It seems that the browsers "choke" on all that
script and end up displaying the script instead of the page content (
even though the script is guarded by the HTML comments) about 80% of the
time.

Please see:
http://www.bulliondirect.com/catalog/showProducts.do?category=1

When I have a garbled page, I look at the page source, and the source looks
fine.
The page validates as HTML 4.01 Transitional compliant via:
http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html
http://validator.w3.org/detailed.html

The only way I can get it to display correctly, is to keep hitting reload
until it renders correctly, but the page source is always the same by file
comparison.
If you File->Save a garbled page, and load it from file, it renders correctly.

IE does not have this problem, and I cannot find any evidence that any one else
has ever experienced this either.  What makes our pages a special case?
I know all the affected browsers are related in some way, do they share
some sort
of common bug (In Gecko I presume)?

Can anyone confirm they see what I see?  Anyone have a similar experience?

BugZilla (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/) is rather difficult for me to use,
so I
haven't been able to use it well enough to find reports of this.

Tested Browsers:
Mozilla 1.5 Gecko/20030916
FireBird 0.7 Gecko/20031007
Netscape 7.1 Gecko/20030624

RE: Validator JavaScript displaying? Mozilla bug?

Posted by Robert Nocera <rn...@neosllc.com>.
Brad,

I am using Mozilla 0.7 and I saw what you described the first time I went to
your page.  I can't get it to repeat however.  Then I tried for kicks on
another machine and didn't see it at all.

On that other machine I am just getting validator set up on a project and I
tried it, and it looked fine each time in Mozilla.  I did notice that I put
the tags for the javascript outside the <body> tags but inside the <html>
tags,whereas your are in the middle of the page.

Maybe the first time it loads, since it hasn't loaded the entire page, it
gets confused and displays the javascript but on subsequent loads, it is
probably coming from cache and has the entire html and so renders it
correctly?  A little far-fetched maybe.

I would try moving your javascript tag outside of the <body> tags and see
what kind of result you get.

-Rob

Rob Nocera
www.neosllc.com