Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com> on 2010/01/04 17:54:57 UTC

0.6 RC2 Progress

Happy new year.

Thanks to all who've tested RC2 over the past couple of weeks:

There have been some issues that mean I will be issuing an RC3 today (I
hope)

1. QPID-2308 / QPID-2096: These are Java store issues
- Robbie/Martin: Please checkin your fixes

2. QPID-2316: This was an issue with building the cpp RC2 articfact
without ruby-devel (and arguably a build bug that should have not built
a broken package).

I will respin with ruby-devel and shouldn't have the issue.

3. QPID-2260: There was a final trivial packaging fix here that missed
the previous respin.
- Steve feel free to apply the final patch here.

I'm personally happy that these changes don't invalidate any current
testing except for java. Anything I've missed that means we'll have to
retest more, please let me know asap.

Once we've got these changes in I'll spin RC3 and create a branch for
0.6.

Since in a separate discussion we reached the consensus of using odd
revisions for dev and even for release, I'll also up the release version
in the places I remember the version is hiding.

I'll give it a few days then call for a formal vote on releasing 0.6. At
the same time we need to get some more release notes together. What
there is currently is not very impressive (see
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/0.6+Release ). There is
no way I'll be able to put together comprehensive release notes, so
unless others chip in they won't look much better than on that wiki
page!

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

RE: 0.6 RC2 Progress

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Done.

Re: 0.6 RC3 now ready for testing

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I have been mulling that over recently. I do dislike the fact you cant
start it out of the box, but it is in the guide (and the resultant
exception if you dont) that you need to use the provided scripts to
generate an example keystore, supply your own, or turn it off.

I do still think we should ship a config encouraging people to use
(management) security, so I think for 0.7/8 (<< id still rather burn
micros than minor versions :D) we should tidy up the prompt to create
a keystore not to be part of a full stacktrace and still leave SSL
enabled by default.

Robbie

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 01/04/2010 09:36 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> For your new year resolution:
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/dist/qpid-0.6rc3/
>
> In theory the only part of the code that could have regressed since the
> previous release candidates is the java code as that is all the code
> that has changed since then.
>
> However as I don't plan to make any changes until the release except
> blockers and release notes now, please give everything a good going
> over.
>
> In a couple of days (if no one has found any blockers) I'll post a vote
> for release with only release note changes.

I hit a few usability issues which perhaps could be alleviated by
changes to release notes or readmes (all the release notes I saw were
out of date - i.e. referred to M4 release - but I'm assuming from the
above that changes to these are panned anyway):

The ruby README is missing a couple of points (need to run make and need
to add ext/sasl to RUBYLIB as well); I presume this means it does not
run on windows? (Very minor: hello-world is not executable by default).

Successfully built and ran all tests for c++ on fedora 11. Ran python &
ruby tests against c++ broker. Ran qpid-bench (java) against c++ broker.
Did a make install with a prefix which also worked fine though the
examples Makefile need to be edited by hand to work against the prefixed
install.

I couldn't start java broker out of the box (had to disable SSL for JMX
in conf file). Might be nice to have that off by default as with the
standard ssl access?

When running python tests (0-10) against the java broker they hung on
qpid.tests.messaging.MessageEchoTests.testProperties. The 0-8 tests ran
with 3 failures (tests_0-8.queue.QueueTests.test_declare_exclusive,
tests_0-8.queue.QueueTests.test_delete_simple and
tests_0-8.queue.QueueTests.test_purge - possibly related to 0-9-1
changes?). The 0-9 tests ran with 6 out of 10 failures.

When running the ruby tests against the java broker I was prompted for a
password and the tests then hung (guest did not work). This is very
likely just requiring correct authentication details to be specified but
it wasn't immediately obvious how to specify that.

I tried running the hello world ruby example against the java broker,
modified to pass in the username and password, but that timed out on
connection.start.

I had similar issues trying to run the c++ client-test against the java
broker (client sends connection.start but doesn't get a response).

The java client only download doesn't contain any tests, scripts or
example to run or any instructions (except some basic ones for the
server). The full java download doesn't have any examples either, but I
ran the qpid-bench test against both brokers.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

0.6 RC3 now ready for testing

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Re: 0.6 RC2 Progress

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 11:54 -0500, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> Happy new year.
>
> Thanks to all who've tested RC2 over the past couple of weeks:
>
> There have been some issues that mean I will be issuing an RC3 today (I
> hope)
>
> 1. QPID-2308 / QPID-2096: These are Java store issues
> - Robbie/Martin: Please checkin your fixes
>
> 2. QPID-2316: This was an issue with building the cpp RC2 articfact
> without ruby-devel (and arguably a build bug that should have not built
> a broken package).
>
> I will respin with ruby-devel and shouldn't have the issue.
>
> 3. QPID-2260: There was a final trivial packaging fix here that missed
> the previous respin.
> - Steve feel free to apply the final patch here.
>
> I'm personally happy that these changes don't invalidate any current
> testing except for java. Anything I've missed that means we'll have to
> retest more, please let me know asap.
>
> Once we've got these changes in I'll spin RC3 and create a branch for
> 0.6.

Thanks for the checkins guys ... spinning rc3 now.

RE: 0.6 RC2 Progress

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
> 3. QPID-2260: There was a final trivial packaging fix here
> that missed the previous respin.
> - Steve feel free to apply the final patch here.

Done.

-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org