Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by 王世森 <wa...@oraro.net> on 2011/02/22 04:41:41 UTC

Problem in CF recommendation by using mahout

Hi all,

I`m a beginner in building recommendation system. I have a very simple
question, when we use mahout to do a CF recommendation, for example we use
the basic user-based recommendation, is the similarity between 2 users(or
the neighbourhood of one user) pre-computed or computed when the specific
recommendation is performed?
I found when I run the examples in mahout, the recommendation seems to be
performed in the latter way which makes it quite ineffective. Since I`m
doing a CF recommendation project, in which millions of users is involved so
I hope I can make the CF recommendation in a more effective way.

Re: Problem in CF recommendation by using mahout

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
The Mahout recommendation code is not a program. It is a modular
toolkit. There are 5 different kinds of tools, and a few
implementations of all 5 kinds.
This page describes the toolkit design:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Recommender+Documentation

Your best avenue to learning and using these tools is to buy the
"Mahout In Action" book, published by Manning. It is being written by
some of the core Mahout authors, and is very helpful. Download PDFs
are available for most of the book, but it is not in print yet:
http://www.manning.com/owen/

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Problem in CF recommendation by using mahout

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.