Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Daniela Stoiber <da...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/07 07:47:49 UTC

Prediction within Storm

Hello

I have the following problem and I hope someone can help me.

I have different devices which are sending me start events which contain a
timestamp and an id to know which device it is. Every device has an
additional file containing 120 values, one value per minute. What I would
like to do is to use these values to predict the next 120 minutes over all
devices in realtime. So anyhow I have to add up all the values of each
minute over all active devices. So to say it is my "predictive model".

So I have to store the events of the devices and to join the values of the
file. But the events have different starting points and I am not sure if I
can realize this within Storm or if i would need any other or additonal
tools.

Thank you in adavance.

Regards,
Daniela

Re: Prediction within Storm

Posted by Daniela Stoiber <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Enno

Thank you for your reply. My problem is that I have no idea how to deal
with the issue that I receive only a start message from the device but the
values are located in an extra database and that the devices start at
different times.

Each device has a step function with a different length. The step function
consists of minutes and every minute has a different value.

The problem is that I have no idea how to tell the tool to start different
step functions at a different times and how to add up the values of every
minute in realtime. Is that possible within Storm or is it possible to use
a NoSQL database or something like that? Or do I need a tool for predictive
analytics like RapidMinder, R, Orange, Weka and so on.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to solve this problem as I could not find
any examples for such a use case. Most examples for predictive analytics
are based on historical data and I think it even is not a real predictive
analytics use case as I already know the values for the future. Do you have
any examples or an advice how to proceed?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Daniela

Re: Prediction within Storm