Posted to dev@empire-db.apache.org by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/24 18:18:28 UTC

XMLWriter & co?

Hi Rainer,

I found this unused class in Empire-DB: XMLWriter. Can I remove it?

Futher, what are the public abstract Element addXml(Element parent,
long flags); methods in record, column, view and ... used for? I
suppose they can write query info to xml? What would this be used for?
Is there some code that does the reverse?

I think we should try to keep the number of methods on our classes to
a minimum so that a user can do ctrl-space in his IDE and have a clear
idea what they can/schould do. Should XML export functionality exist
in our core database related classes?

Greets,

Francis

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: empire-db-config?

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rainer,

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de> wrote:
> Hi Franics,
>
> thanks for your opinion.
> IMO it is OK to remove the XMLWriter class as it is not being used in core. The examples (basic and spring) use it though. On the other hand it's not doing any harm in core either.

Must have done something wrong as I did not find that dependency. And
indeed it does no harm but it's not clean either. Shouldn't we focus
on the DB side and remove other cruft? These are all things that
certainly should not be part of our public api, we don't want users
depending on those...

> The utility-class and the addXml() are a different story. They are used for retrieving data in XML format including metadata which can then be transformed to another format using XSLT. We can talk about a different way to generate the XML, but XML generation is part of the core functionality.

I see, do we have an example of that?

> In general I do also appreciate the change to SLF4J - although I wasn't sure whether it's still the best thing available (things change so rapidly these days).
> It's just a shame they have not included configuration in their facade. IMO logging configuration is as important as logging itself.
> What we need is a SLCF4J - i.e. a Simple Log Configuration Fascade for Java :-)

As empire-db merely is a db abstraction layer logging configuration is
out of it's scope, that's how I see it. You most of the time configure
that on the container or using a unified logfile for your whole
application.

> Still, I don't see the point in having this empire-db-config module.
> Why can't we just remove the logging configuration form XMLConfiguration and keep it in core?
> Just keep it small and simple - that what people like us for.

I agree, I'll revert my previous commit. Can you then take care of
moving the log4j stuff to the examples? Personally I don't see what's
wrong with a separate log4j file like most people are used to...

Cheers,
Francis

http://www.somatik.be

empire-db-config?

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Franics,

Re: XMLWriter & co?

Posted by Benjamin Venditti <be...@arcor.de>.
Hi there,

okay so i'll go and remove the logging configuration from
"XMLConfiguration" in the core and replace apache JCL with SLF4J.

Cheerio
     Benjamin

Re: XMLWriter & co?

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.