Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jeffrey Rodriguez <je...@hotmail.com> on 2000/06/10 05:38:33 UTC

deactivate xerces-dev list - please join me

Since the xerces-dev is redundant and most of us have moved
to either the xerces-j-dev or the xerces-c-dev, I think it would
be a good idea to deactivate the xerces-dev list.

People who still want to read the list can get it at the
list repository.

I think this would be good since sometimes I don't read the xerces-dev
and fellow developers still keep posting to it.

So my vote for deactivating xerces-dev is a +1.

Thanks,

                   Jeffrey Rodriguez
                   Xerces-J Developer

Re: deactivate xerces-dev list - please join me

Posted by "N. Sean Timm" <st...@mailgo.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael Mason <mg...@decisionsoft.com>.
Jeffrey Rodriguez wrote:

> Since the xerces-dev is redundant and most of us have moved
> to either the xerces-j-dev or the xerces-c-dev, I think it would
> be a good idea to deactivate the xerces-dev list.
>
> People who still want to read the list can get it at the
> list repository.

But the commit messages go to it -- I'm all in favour of making the list
read only (so anyone who isn't the CVS process gets a bounce directing
them to xerces-c-dev or xerces-j-dev) but I like getting the commit
messages.

Mike.

--
Mike Mason, Software Engineer
XML Script Development Team                    Office: 44-1865-203192

Re: deactivate xerces-dev list - please join me

Posted by Michael Mason <mg...@decisionsoft.com>.
Edwin Goei wrote:

> > Might you want to create a specific CVS-commit mailing list?
>
> Isn't this already the case?  I get CVS messages addressed to
> "xml-xerces-cvs@apache.org" and use procmail on my mail server to filter
> this to a separate mail drop.  I also filter out the C and Perl versions of
> Xerces CVS messages so I only get the Xerces Java commit messages.

Ah -- my apologies, I'm also using procmail to do this and had forgotten
about it. In that case, there's no reason I can see not to deactivate
xerces-dev.

Sorry for being a plank.

Mike.

Re: deactivate xerces-dev list - please join me

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
Nevermind.  I should have looked at the web page first.  This is already
implemented.

Posted by Daniel Barclay <Da...@digitalfocus.com>.
Edwin Goei wrote:

> From: "Daniel Barclay" <Da...@digitalfocus.com>
> > Might you want to create a specific CVS-commit mailing list?
>
> Isn't this already the case?  I get CVS messages addressed to
> "xml-xerces-cvs@apache.org" and use procmail on my mail server to filter
> this to a separate mail drop.  ...

I don't know; I'm not on it.

Daniel

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
> > I suggest the best compromise is to make xerces-dev read-only, unless
> > you're the CVS process on the Apache box holding the sources. Anyone
> > posting to the list would get a bounce directing them to xerces-c/j-dev
> > instead.
> >
> > Please don't nuke the CVS commit messages, I really like them.
>

> Might you want to create a specific CVS-commit mailing list?

Isn't this already the case?  I get CVS messages addressed to
"xml-xerces-cvs@apache.org" and use procmail on my mail server to filter
this to a separate mail drop.  I also filter out the C and Perl versions of
Xerces CVS messages so I only get the Xerces Java commit messages.

-Edwin

Re: deactivate xerces-dev list - please join me

Posted by Daniel Barclay <Da...@digitalfocus.com>.

Posted by Michael Mason <mg...@decisionsoft.com>.
Jeffrey Rodriguez wrote:

> Since the xerces-dev is redundant and most of us have moved
> to either the xerces-j-dev or the xerces-c-dev, I think it would
> be a good idea to deactivate the xerces-dev list.

I've said this on xerces-dev, but since the discussion seems to be here,
I'll say it here too: I like being able to get the CVS messages, but
moving the CVS messages to xerces-c-dev/xerces-j-dev (as appropriate)
may annoy people who aren't active developers and just want help using
the kit.

I suggest the best compromise is to make xerces-dev read-only, unless
you're the CVS process on the Apache box holding the sources. Anyone
posting to the list would get a bounce directing them to xerces-c/j-dev
instead.

Please don't nuke the CVS commit messages, I really like them.

Cheers,
Mike.

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@jtcsv.com>.
+1 assuming what "deactivate" means is setting up an automatic answer
that lets people know about xerces-j-dev and xerces-c-dev.

Re: deactivate xerces-dev list - please join me

Posted by Rajiv Mordani <Ra...@eng.sun.com>.
+1 but need to figure out how to get the cvs commit messages to go to
the separate mailing lists (as xerces-c and xerces-j aren't 2 separate
projects).

- Rajiv

Posted by David Waite <ma...@ufl.edu>.
I'm new, but if my vote counts