Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pranjal Thakur <pr...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/06 17:24:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Load balancing between different versions of a web application

This is more of a theoretical question.
I want to know if it is possible to do this:

I have various versions of a web application, each running certain number of
instances.
When a request comes in, it goes to a certain instance of some version.
I want the load balancer to now route further requests from this user to
only the instances of the version it was first routed to.
I can maintain a cookie or some other way to save the version number of the
instance. But I need the load balancer to now take that into consideration
for further requests.

Is this possible and Is there any plugin available for this?

Any help will be appreciated. thank you.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Load balancing between different versions of a web application

Posted by Pranjal Thakur <pr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Jonathan Zuckerman <j....@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Pranjal Thakur<pr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am using the apache mod_proxy load balancer:
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html
> >
> > I am not able to find any configuration change that I could make to
> achieve
> > this.
> > Here is the situation:
> > my web application has 2 versions say N and N+1. N has 5 instances and
> N+1
> > has 5 instances running on the same cloud.
> > A user gets to an instance of N the first time. I want all the following
> > requests from that user to go to any of the 5 instances of N and not go
> > any instance of N+1 at all.
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Jonathan Zuckerman <
> j.zuckerman@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> add
> server

> version.
> of

> >> Probably will need to contact whoever hosts your app for more info,
> >> but theoretically I don't see why this can't be achieved, what type of
> >> load balancer are you using?  I used netscaler briefly in the past and
> >> it was infinitely configurable..

> I've written a few APIs and we always include the version in the URL
> somewhere (querystring, subdomain, whatever), so that new versions
> won't break compatibility.  Is this an option?

yes, that sounds like an option.  what kind of apis do I need to write to
make the apache web server read the version and route to the correct
instance?

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Load balancing between different versions of a web application

Posted by Jonathan Zuckerman <j....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pranjal Thakur <pr...@gmail.com>.