Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2006/06/16 03:48:25 UTC

Torque DB adaptor for Ingres

Hi there,

Through the Apache Software Foundation I am involved in the development
and maintenance of Torque.

A while back I was contacted by Shirley Wang (of CA) who was working on
the Torque DB adapter for Ingres.  At the time I had the impression that
the resultant code was going to be submitted to the ASF to become part
of Torque.

I would suggest that the Ingres Torque DB adaptor would be more
accessible if it was contributed of the Torque project.  If you wish to
do this then the cleanest way to proceed would be to submit the code as
a patch to the Torque project issue tracking system
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TORQUE).  I see that you have used
the ASL 2.0 license on this code so I do not believe there would be any
issues with with regards to bring the code into the ASF (a signed CLA
<http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt> from the author would be great
but since the code is most likely only really a variation to one of the
existing DB adaptors it is probably not that big a deal).

In terms of future maintenance of the adaptor, this would really rely on
an Ingress user reporting any issues that arise on the Torque developer
mailing list (or the issue tracking system) and either contributing a
fix or working with the torque developers (who may not be Ingres users)
to make any necessary updates.

In actual fact Torque 3.2 changed the way DB adaptors are implemented so
db.properties need to be rewritten as a platform class in your existing
code to bring it into line with the latest release (should be a simple
task).

Feel free to ask any questions you may have to me directly or to the
torque developers list
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-torque-dev/).

Regards,

Scott