Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by we...@kuhnle.com on 2004/09/10 12:42:28 UTC

Automatic "svn add" and "svn delete" ?

Hello !

I want to use Subversion for tracking the state of a complete Directory tree
(not related to source code, but just complete data and configuration of
a complex application)

Application programs and users will make additions and deletions of files in the
tree, and every evening there shall be an automatic commit of all changes.
(started by a scheduler).
So I will be able to restore the complete state of the application for every
date.

My problem:
After the first "import" Subversion does not automaticly(!) recognize new files or
deletion of files for versioning.

My question:
Does there exist an automatic add/delete -Feature for SubVersion that automatically
adds and deletes files in the repository according to the actual state of
the working copy ?
If not :
Does there exist an other recommended solution for this problem ?

Or do I have to write my own program to compare the list of files in the repository
and the files in the working copy and do the necessary additions and
deletions by calls to svn ?`

Thanks in advance for any answer/hint.

Werner

Re: Automatic "svn add" and "svn delete" ?

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@deneb.enyo.de>.
> My problem: After the first "import" Subversion does not
> automaticly(!) recognize new files or deletion of files for
> versioning.

Recent versions of svk support an "--import" option for 'commit",
which seems to do what you want.

Re: Automatic "svn add" and "svn delete" ?

Posted by Taco Walstra <wa...@science.uva.nl>.
On Friday 10 September 2004 14:42, wek@kuhnle.com wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I want to use Subversion for tracking the state of a complete Directory
> tree (not related to source code, but just complete data and configuration
> of a complex application)
>
> Application programs and users will make additions and deletions of files
> in the tree, and every evening there shall be an automatic commit of all
> changes. (started by a scheduler).
> So I will be able to restore the complete state of the application for
> every date.
>
> My problem:
> After the first "import" Subversion does not automaticly(!) recognize new
> files or deletion of files for versioning.
>
> My question:
> Does there exist an automatic add/delete -Feature for SubVersion that
> automatically adds and deletes files in the repository according to the
> actual state of the working copy ?
It's not something people like to have with a version system (like svn adding
automatically all object files of a c project after the first compile and
commit). I would in this case write a bash script and run this as cron job.
You can easily run a svn status of this svn repos, all files which are not
there will have '?' in the status, get these files by using awk or perl
scripting and add them to the repository.
take care that the database doesn't grow to immense sizes.
taco