Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com> on 2016/10/28 03:20:07 UTC

[DISCUSS] Pre-commit build in Windows platform

Hi All

As we supporting the Hadoop in windows, I feel, we should have pre-commit build in windows( atleast in qbt).

Background:

As of now pre-commit will not run on windows, we may end up with following

1)      Test cases  can fail in windows

2)      Compilation Error (now it's failing, after HADOOP-10075)

3)      Some feature might not work

It will be good, if we catch all these at time of commit. (Prevention is better than cure..:) )

If it's already discussed and concluded, Please ignore me and let us know the conclusion.

--Brahma Reddy Battula

Re: [DISCUSS] Pre-commit build in Windows platform

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.
> On Nov 1, 2016, at 4:00 AM, Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com> wrote:

> Thanks for information. Seems to be challenge to get it done. Can we try to get dedicated machine for this..?

	We have one.  What we don't have is someone dedicated enough to keep it running.  It is not a "one and done". Folks will add new or change dependencies and not bother to update or even to tell anyone to update the build servers. Even though the Linux/x86 builds have the build setup as part of the source tree (dev-support/docker/Dockerfile), people *still* ignore it then complain that their new feature isn't getting tested.

	FWIW, there are still bits broken even on Linux/x86.  MAPREDUCE-6743 is a great view of the apathetic nature of the committer pool that anyone who takes this on will have to work around.   Those native MR tasks tests have been known to be broken since qbt was introduced several months ago. (They weren't testing in the nightly builds before, so have likely been broken for a very long time. qbt just made them visible.) Frankly, Windows builds have zero chance if we can't even get the Linux/x86 build stable.

RE: [DISCUSS] Pre-commit build in Windows platform

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.
Thanks a lot Steve Loughran , Allen Wittenauer ,Ravi Prakash and Mingliang Liu.

[ Steve Loughran Wrote ]
I think a first step would be to have scheduled builds on windows; ideally with people caring that they are playing up.

Anyway,

+1 for more windows testing

[ Brahma Reddy ]
May be we add in qbt it self..? Or separate night pre-commit build..?

[ Allen Wittenauer Wrote ]
	I actually tried to get Apache Yetus testing Apache Hadoop on the hadoop-win box last year.  (This was before qbt mode existed.)  I gave up because the components needed to build trunk weren't installed and it looked like the box itself was ill. I moved on to the Mac build which, while tricky, got it working with a bit of magic.  Then they took the Mac away.  IBM provided access to a PowerPC machine, so I moved onto the ppc64le build. After a lot of hand wringing, we got it up and running and stable enough to show how broken the build is by our usage of leveldbjni.

	It should be noted that getting infra support for non-Linux/x86 builds is a pretty major exercise in frustration.  They don't really have the time, those boxes tend to go down often, and rarely get updated. (The Solaris box is running a really old build of Solaris 10.  So old, that when it came out, I was still employed by Sun...)  If folks are actually serious about adding more platforms, then I'd suggest that some of these big vendors actually cough up some cash to move the precommit infrastructure off of the ASF and onto something more reliable with more platform diversity.

[ Brahma Reddy ]
Thanks for information. Seems to be challenge to get it done. Can we try to get dedicated machine for this..?

[ Mingliang Liu wrote ]
I also like the idea of having a precommit build in Windows. If only the pre-commit infrastructure was reliable. If this is a pain, I see little value making Windows unit test failures release blockers.

[ Brahma Reddy ]
Yes, I think we can do like this, if nobody object on this.

--Brahma Reddy Battula

I also like the idea of having a precommit build in Windows. If only the pre-commit infrastructure was reliable. If this is a pain, I see little value making Windows unit test failures release blockers.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Mingliang Liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.
Was anybody ever successful in getting Windows(tm) installed in a VM from
the developer accounts that Microsoft affords Apache?