Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jérôme Verstrynge <jv...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/17 20:47:46 UTC

Newbie question about application development

Hi,

Trying to understand HBase/Hadoop here. Let's imagine I write some
MapReduce Java code in my application. Let's imagine I deploy my
application on 1 node of a ring of 20. Let's imagine the data is
distributed on the 20 nodes.

Do I need to distribute my JAR on the 20 to run the MapReduce Java code?
Or can I launch this code from my node and HBase/Hadoop will distribute
it automatically to other nodes for local processing? How does the magic
happen?

Thanks,

JVerstry

Re: Newbie question about application development

Posted by Chris Tarnas <cf...@email.com>.
When you submit a job via hadoop you include the jar with the submission. Hadoop takes care of the distribution of the jar to each of the nodes and the cleanup when all processing is done. You can also include other needed files and archives with the job as well. You would use the 'hadoop' command for this:

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.2/commands_manual.html

-chris