Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Richard Heggs <rh...@ntlworld.com> on 2002/06/08 14:50:27 UTC

Undefined symbol: apr_allocator_mutex_set

Hi,

Just recently I have been unable to get the svn server to play nice (sorry I
don't remember the revision when this started happening... but it still
hapens with revision 2128.

When I try to start apache, I get the following:

[root@llamabox subversion]# /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 230 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into server:
/usr/local/lib/libsvn_subr.so.0: undefined symbol: apr_allocator_mutex_set
/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
[root@llamabox subversion]#

I am using the apache 2.0.36 tarball, and I have tried compiling with the apr
& apr-util therein, and also with the latest cvs sources.  I've also tried
with the latest cvs of apache.  The result is the same.

Anyone care to point out my mistake?

Richard

PS: In the short while I've been using subversion, it has spoiled me.  I don't
think I'll ever be able to go back to cvs. :)

Re: Undefined symbol: apr_allocator_mutex_set

Posted by Richard Heggs <rh...@ntlworld.com>.
Thanks guys, works fine now.

Evidently I had my versions mixed up.  I blame my enforced caffeine-free diet.

Richard

Re: Undefined symbol: apr_allocator_mutex_set

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.
* Richard Heggs (rheggs@ntlworld.com) wrote :
> Hi,
>
> Just recently I have been unable to get the svn server to play nice (sorry I
> don't remember the revision when this started happening... but it still
> hapens with revision 2128.
>
> When I try to start apache, I get the following:
>
> [root@llamabox subversion]# /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start
> Syntax error on line 230 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into server:
> /usr/local/lib/libsvn_subr.so.0: undefined symbol: apr_allocator_mutex_set
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> [root@llamabox subversion]#
>
> I am using the apache 2.0.36 tarball, and I have tried compiling with the apr
> & apr-util therein, and also with the latest cvs sources.  I've also tried
> with the latest cvs of apache.  The result is the same.
You _have_ to compile with the same version of apache and subversion. 2.0.36
is way old. Use cvs HEAD of apache, apr, apr-util and svn HEAD of
subversion.
Cheers,
-Thom

Re: Undefined symbol: apr_allocator_mutex_set

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Richard Heggs <rh...@ntlworld.com> writes:

> When I try to start apache, I get the following:
>
> [root@llamabox subversion]# /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start
> Syntax error on line 230 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into server:
> /usr/local/lib/libsvn_subr.so.0: undefined symbol: apr_allocator_mutex_set
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> [root@llamabox subversion]#
>
> I am using the apache 2.0.36 tarball, and I have tried compiling with the apr
> & apr-util therein, and also with the latest cvs sources.  I've also tried
> with the latest cvs of apache.  The result is the same.
>
> Anyone care to point out my mistake?

As far as I know the 2.0.36 Apache tarball is too old, the current CVS
Apache should work.  The error indicates that the shared APR library
used by /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd is too old. I suspect that you
are using some or all of the 2.0.36 stuff when you think you are using
CVS.  I suggest the following

  - delete the 2.0.36 installation from /usr/local/apache2.
  - build and install Apache CVS.
  - configure Subversion to use the installed Apache CVS.
  - build and install Subversion.

--
Philip