Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by To...@teliasonera.com on 2008/10/30 18:15:44 UTC

Problem to install APR Tomcat Native Library

I am trying to install the APR Tomcat Native Library on a Solaris SPARC server.

Since it has only OpenSSL installed and no build system available, I compiled libapr 1.3.3 and libtcnative 1.1.14 on another machine with the same OS.

I then copied the lib folders of both libs to the server, and added the paths to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and restarted Tomcat (6.0.18).

The message "The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found [...]" and I can see the paths to both libs in the java.library.path.

I guess I have done something wrong. Any ideas? Can I change the logging level so I can get some more info in catalina.out?

Torsten

Re: Problem to install APR Tomcat Native Library

Posted by Serge Fonville <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
I stand corrected

Regards,

Serge Fonville

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Serge Fonville <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juha Laiho <Ju...@iki.fi>.
Torsten.Romer@teliasonera.com wrote:
> However I get the following warnings when starting up Tomcat:
>
> WARNING: [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'minSpareThreads' to '25' did not find a matching property.
> Oct 31, 2008 1:04:09 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule begin
> WARNING: [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'maxSpareThreads' to '75' did not find a matching property.
> Oct 31, 2008 1:04:09 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule begin
>
> So it seems these properties are not supported by the APR protocol, but I can't confirm that reading the documentation. Also, the example for the APR SSL connector at
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/apr.html#HTTPS
>
> includes these properties:
>
>     <Connector port="443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>                maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>                enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
>                acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
>                SSLEnabled="true"
>                SSLCertificateFile="${catalina.base}/conf/localhost.crt"
>                SSLCertificateKeyFile="${catalina.base}/conf/localhost.key" />
>
> So why do I get these warnings? Should I remove the "minSpareThreads" and "minSpareThreads" properties or replace them by other ones?

It looks like the documentation has been left unchanged from Tomcat 5.5.

If you compare the HTTP connector configuration parameters described in
Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6.0 documentation, you'll see that those two
parameters do exist in 5.5 documentation, but not in 6.0 documentation:

However, I didn't see in changelog a mention about these two having been
removed, but apparently they no longer exist.
--
..Juha

RE: Problem to install APR Tomcat Native Library

Posted by To...@teliasonera.com.
Now I finally got APR installed correctly :-) Thanks again for all the help!

[...]

libgcc_s.so.1 =>         (file not found)

Thanks a lot! :-)

Torsten

> I am trying to install the APR Tomcat Native Library on a Solaris SPARC server.
>
> Since it has only OpenSSL installed and no build system available, I compiled libapr 1.3.3 and libtcnative 1.1.14 on another machine with the same OS.
>
> I then copied the lib folders of both libs to the server, and added the paths to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and restarted Tomcat (6.0.18).

What does ldd libtcnative-1.so says?

If you didn't use the Sun's CC but gcc to compile
you might be missing some gcc runtime libs on the target box

Regards
--
^(TM)

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
yes I would do that..symlink is specific to your shell session and only works at shell command line or
thru java shell out e.g. java.lang.Runtime.exec("shell call");

Viel Gluck
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

> Subject: RE: Problem to install APR Tomcat Native Library
> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:41:49 +0100
> From: Torsten.Romer@teliasonera.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> It is Solaris SPARC. Would it help to copy shared libs into the JRE bin folder? I symlinked them into $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/sparc but that didn't help either.
>
> Torsten

When your life is on the go—take your life with you.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/

RE: Problem to install APR Tomcat Native Library

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
I d/l ed the APR for my OS and when compiled saw somewhere in excess of 100 errors..
in java once can determine version errors with Maven
Im wondering if the same version checking capability exists for binaries?

Glad to hear the solution worked for you

Posted by Kees Jan Koster <kj...@kjkoster.org>.
Der Torsten,

> I got it sorted out with ldd as suggested here on the list but it is
> certainly good to know about truss - thank you!

I am curious what performance gain APR has for your application
server. Did you do any load tests? If so, could you please publisch
the results?
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
06-51838192

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe
so full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry
Partchett

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Torsten.Romer@teliasonera.com schrieb:
> Yes, it is set to something like
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/app/libtcnative/lib:/opt/app/apr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>

> The files are all world readable and even owned by the user running
> Tomcat.
>
> I just want to mention that I compiled both libs with another prefix
> than where I have copied them to now - because those directories
> don't exist on the build machine and I don't have root permissions.
> But that shouldn't matter since I include the locations of the libs
> in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
>
> Is it not possible to get Tomcat to log some more details about
> UnsatisfiedLinkError or so.

On Solaris you can use truss:

truss -f -o OUTPUTFILE TOMCATSTARTSCRIPT

It will e.g. show, which shared object files were tried to load and from
which places.

Regards,

Rainer

RE: Problem to install APR Tomcat Native Library

Posted by To...@teliasonera.com.
Yes, it is set to something like LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/app/libtcnative/lib:/opt/app/apr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

The files are all world readable and even owned by the user running Tomcat.

I just want to mention that I compiled both libs with another prefix than where I have copied them to now - because those directories don't exist on the build machine and I don't have root permissions. But that shouldn't matter since I include the locations of the libs in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Is it not possible to get Tomcat to log some more details about loading these libs? Could be interesting to see some UnsatisfiedLinkError or so.

We have HTTP, HTTPS and AJP connectors on that Tomcat and what I understood from the documentation is that APR can improve the performance - which would be nice since the application is quite busy.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Torsten

Posted by "Andrew Ralph Feller, afelle1" <af...@lsu.edu>.
Torsten,

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298556/direct/01/

RE: Problem to install APR Tomcat Native Library

Posted by To...@teliasonera.com.
Hi Andrew,

Yes, I did that. So both libapr and libtcnative are in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH/java.library.path that Tomcat includes in the message that it couldn't load the library.

I even included the OpenSSL libs in the path.

Posted by "Andrew Ralph Feller, afelle1" <af...@lsu.edu>.
Torsten,