Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Troy Hart <th...@part.net> on 2002/07/11 01:29:34 UTC

switching sub-application issues

I have recently started using the new sub-application feature of
struts-1.1 and I think it is an excellent addition. However, the
standard SwitchAction does not seem to work as advertised. I am
currently able to work around this issue by defining global forwards
(with the contextRelative attribute set to "true") in sub-applications
that need to link to other sub-applications... However, I feel that I
will be faced with a real problem unless the technique used in the
standard SwitchAction can be made to work as advertised.

I have read all the email on this list that talks about the issue and I
have the same problem that everyone else has.

I have looked at the source and in my cursory review I don't see how
this action could possibly work. In the RequestProcessor, the method
processForward() contains the following lines of code:

        // Construct a request dispatcher for the specified path
        String uri = appConfig.getPrefix() + forward;

The problem I see with this is that the appConfig variable is the member
variable of the RequestProcessor that is processing the current
SwitchAction request, not the ApplicationConfig object that was set on
the request by the RequestUtils.selectApplication() call made in the
SwitchAction (*). That said, appConfig.getPrefix() will not return the
prefix of the sub-application you want to switch to...

(*) Another problem I am seeing is the ApplicationConfig request
attribute (key='org.apache.struts.action.APPLICATION'), which is set in
the SwithAction via the RequestUtils.selectApplication() call, is
getting overwritten by the time the jsp gets controll... I have verified
that selectApplication() is setting the ApplicationConfig to that of the
sub-application I am trying to switch to. However, when I inspect the
request attributes from my jsp page the ApplicationConfig attribute is
somehow magically reset to the config for the sub-app that invoked the
SwitchAction...

Is anyone currently addressing this issue??? Has anyone ever seen
SwitchAction work as advertised??? If so what is the trick???

Thanks,

Troy