Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@Bspark.com> on 2000/09/02 00:10:52 UTC

RE: Property lookup

I think if you want to handle dynamic forms properly (there is already a
thread discussing this in the dev group), then for any of the form elements
tags it is sometimes very very handy (or vital) have the 'property' and
'value' element be runtime evaluated... We've already had to do this for at
least a few of them (text, checkbox, etc.)

Allowing the property to be dynamic means when I am looping I can build up
the name of the property I am interested in, via an expression. Allowing
value to be dynamic means I can get the value from somewhere else, as
opposed to having to get it out of the named property or use a fixed value.
I also do not think it is always reasonable to assume that the property name
should be the same name that is used as the form submit name. I am
potentially getting the value from one bean with one name, but want to
submit it up as another name, for the form bean handling thsi submit. Now if
the value field was dynamic the getting could also be done that way, but I
would prefer to specify the source bean and property name, and also have
another attribute that allowed me to override the name it was submitted as
(the HTML form element 'name' attribute).