Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> on 2015/09/22 02:37:31 UTC

Kafka KIP meeting Sep. 22 at 11:00am PST

Hi, Everyone,

We will have a Kafka KIP meeting on tomorrow at 11:00am PST. If you plan to
attend but haven't received an invite, please let me know. The following is
the agenda.

Agenda:
1. KIP-31: Move to relative offsets in compressed message sets
2. KIP-32: Add CreateTime and LogAppendTime to Kafka message
3. KIP-33: Add a time based log index

Thanks,

Jun

Re: Kafka KIP meeting Sep. 22 at 11:00am PST

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
The following are the notes from today's KIP discussion.

KIP-31: Need to figure out how to evolve inter.broker.protocol.version with
multiple protocol changes within the same release, mostly for people who
are deploying from trunk. Bucket will update the wiki.
KIP-32/KIP-33: Having both CreateTime and LogAppendTime per message adds
significant overtime. There are a couple of possibilities to improve this.
Bucket will follow up on this.

LinkedIn has been testing SSL in MirrorMaker (SSL is only enabled in the
producer). So far, MirrorMaker can keep up with the load. LinkedIn folks
will share some of the performance results.

The video will be uploaded soon in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Improvement+Proposals
.

Thanks,