Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk> on 2002/01/10 12:49:59 UTC

Version numbers...

I'd like to propose that we use a version number system like that used by
bugzilla, namely that the head of CVS have an even minor number and
milestone releases have the opposite, in addition "nightly" releases would
have the same version number as the current CVS.

Thus CVS is currently 2.0a2, when we make a milestone release it would be
released as 2.0a3 and CVS would advance to 2.0a4, that way there would be no
confusion between bugs reported against released versions and bugs reported
against nightly builds/cvs.

this is the explanation from bugzilla..

"We only place tarballs of even-numbered minor versions on the FTP server.
The installed version on bugzilla.mozilla.org (and the most recent CVS
version, which is a slightly newer version than the installed version)
always have an odd-numbered minor version. If you want to get exactly the
code that mozilla.org is running, you're out of luck (they make internal
patches just like everyone else), but you can get pretty close by using CVS,
and the minor version number will be odd. If you want a more stable release,
you can use a tarball, and the minor version number will be even. "

d.

Re: Version numbers...

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:47, Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> Actually (after voting +1), an alternative would be to just have the
> version number in CVS something like "2.0a2-unreleased" (or even
> "2.0a2-cvs"), and simply remove the "unreleased"/"cvs" extension when the
> build is formally released. This would prevent any confusion which may
> arise from builds going "missing" (ie "where can I download 2.0a3 ?" ).

+1

> Even better would be to attach a unique number to each commit - where I
> work we have a changelog file, which *must* be updated with every CVS
> commit, including providing a new "build" number and a log a what was
> changed. The change log ( a simple XML file) is then parsed by an Ant task
> during the build, and the constants file is updated with the build number.
> This way, we can tell *exactly* which build was being used for a bug
> report.
>
> I'd be happy to get a commit-changelog file working, as long as committers
> are willing to update it when they make changes. The way I work is I to
> enter my changes into the changelog once I'm happy with everything, and
> then Cut&Paste that entry as my CVS commit log message. This gives us a
> nice historical view of the CVS commit log messages, from within the CVS
> tree.

Alternatively you could go the opposite way. I am not sure if I fully got
this working but in tthe phoenix project I used a task to generate a XML
ChangeLog based on the CVS logs. However instead of directly using this I
tended to clean/simply/munge the changes into the real ChangeLog.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Version numbers...

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <li...@bigdaz.com>.
> I'd be happy to get a commit-changelog file working, as long as committers
> are willing to update it when they make changes. The way I work is I to
> enter my changes into the changelog once I'm happy with everything, and
then
> Cut&Paste that entry as my CVS commit log message. This gives us a nice
> historical view of the CVS commit log messages, from within the CVS tree.

Just to clarify, here's what my last commit could look like:
<changeLog>
<version number="2.0a3">
<commit number="xxx">
    - Library upgrade
        - Upgraded Avalon,Pheonix and Cornerstone libraries to more recent
versions.
        - Removed deprecated usage of o.a.a.phoenix.Service from
          MailServer and UsersStore interfaces.
        - Changed o.a.j.BaseConnectionHandler to use new Logging framework,
so
          that it can work with new version of Cornerstone. Also needed
slight mods
          to extensions to BaseConnectionHandler (NNTPHandler,
AbstractJdbcUsersRepository,
          UsersLDAPRepository)
        - Now get heaps of deprecation warnings for usage of
o.a.log.Loggable
    - Source tree is no longer copied to build/src before compiling,
      source files are compiled directly from src/java
</commit>
<commit number="...">
</commit>
</release>
</changeLog>
The actual commit message could be more formatted XML, but then it's a pain
to write...

When James was built from this commit, it would then run with a message
like:
James 2.0a3 (build xxx)
or something like that.

What do you reckon?
ciao
daz

Re: Version numbers...

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <li...@bigdaz.com>.
> we do have a changelog .. its in xdocs and is "built" with the rest of the
> docs .. http://jakarta.apache.org/james/changelog.html
> I like Pete's idea of generating a changelog from the cvs logs,
> even if you then have to cut and paste the non-trivial changes into the
> actual changelog doc it'd save a heap of effort.

Sorry, "changeLog" was probably the wrong name. I meant a Commit log, which
included a unique number for each CVS commit. This could be sanitised to
create sensible release notes (including a change-log).

The main thing I'd like is unique build numbers, so that we can tell
*exactly* what code is running. I'm sure this can be automated with some
tricky CVS integration, but having played with the CVS mailer before, I'm
not too keen on delving into those nasty Perl scripts again. ;) I'd be just
as happy with a rule that said - "when you commit changes to CVS, you bump
the build number in file XXX". (Or run some Ant target, which itself bumps
the number). I know this enforces discipline on the developers, but I don't
know of any other simple way to do it.

ciao
Daz

RE: Version numbers...

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

Re: Version numbers...

Re: Starting James without -jar

Posted by Jeff Dillon <je...@jeffdillon.com>.
> However, the latest versions of Phoenix (the app server
> on which James runs) have the facility to run as an NT service, using the
> Java Wrapper project (http://wrapper.sourceforge.net).

Cool. That looks like a better solution than what I was trying to do.

> You'll need to give us a little more time to get this working, but if you
> can wait (or help :), it might save you a bit of grief.

I'll work on getting James to run as an NT service with the java wrapper
program instead. Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff Dillon
http://www.jeffdillon.com

Re: Starting James without -jar

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <li...@bigdaz.com>.
Hi Jeff

> I'm trying to write a utility to run James as a Windows 2k service and I
> need to figure out how to run james without the -jar option.

I don't know how to help with your specific query (I can run James
without -jar, but only by having Intellij specify the *entire* classpath on
the command-line). However, the latest versions of Phoenix (the app server

Re: catch all...

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Yeah, just do this....

<mailet match="HostIsLocal" class="Forward">
    <forwardto>mypostmasteraddress@mydomain.com</forwardto>
</mailet>

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/
Posted by Keith Chew SL <ke...@ihug.co.nz>.
Great! That was exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks Danny.

Keith

RE: catch all...

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

RE: catch all...

Posted by Keith Chew SL <ke...@ihug.co.nz>.
I just tried the notification to postmaster on error. It's not exactly what
I had in mind, but it'll do just fine.

Thanks!
Keith

RE: catch all...

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

catch all...

Starting James without -jar

Posted by Jeff Dillon <je...@jeffdillon.com>.
Hello-

I'm trying to write a utility to run James as a Windows 2k service and I
need to figure out how to run james without the -jar option.

I looked at Tomcat and it does it with...

%_RUNJAVA%
%CATALINA_OPTS% -Dcatalina.base="%CATALINA_BASE%" -Dcatalina.home="%CATALINA
_HOME%" org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

I am trying to do a similar thing with James like...

set PHOENIX_HOME=%~dp0  // sets to current directory
java -Djava.ext.dirs=%PHOENIX_HOME%\lib -Djava.class.path=%PHOENIX_HOME%\pho
enix-loader.jar org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main

I keep getting class not found errors even though the classes that it
complains about exist in the jars found in the lib directory. Perhaps I
don't understand the java.ext.dirs setting, I'm not sure.

Thanks

Jeff Dillon
http://www.jeffdillon.com

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
I'm kinda forging ahead on that basis, but silence from *everyone* is just a
little off-putting ;-)

Re: Version numbers...

Posted by Harmeet <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
From: "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>