Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org> on 2005/07/31 12:21:50 UTC

Improving our [proposal] Forrest Wiki

I understand Diwaker's unhappiness about our mailing lists as one
major source of permanent information and believe that it would help
to find an easy way of extracting important parts of on-list discussions
into some kind of structured system.

However in my view this would require somebody willing to do the
editing of such a repository on an ongoing basis or otherwise we'd
just end up searching the wiki and then - to be sure - the mailing
list after all.

I'm opposed to a documentation Wiki for much the same reasons that
David mentioned.

Yet I would be in favor of an easy to use feedback mechanism or even a
way to add comments and tips to existing documentation since I agree
that the hurdles for quick improvements to existing pages for
non-committers are much to high.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Improving our [proposal] Forrest Wiki

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> I understand Diwaker's unhappiness about our mailing lists as one
> major source of permanent information and believe that it would help
> to find an easy way of extracting important parts of on-list discussions
> into some kind of structured system.

Did you see my stuff about the mail -> Daisy app I have been working on?

Do you think this may help (no reason why it couldn't be made to work
with MBox files to get the archives)

> However in my view this would require somebody willing to do the
> editing of such a repository on an ongoing basis or otherwise we'd
> just end up searching the wiki and then - to be sure - the mailing
> list after all.

I agree

> Yet I would be in favor of an easy to use feedback mechanism or even a
> way to add comments and tips to existing documentation since I agree
> that the hurdles for quick improvements to existing pages for
> non-committers are much to high.

Daisy (or Lenya?) can do this if that is the route we want to go - I'm
all for gently lowering ourselves in and using other features as and
when we identify the need.

Ross