Posted to repository@apache.org by Tim Anderson <tm...@netspace.net.au> on 2003/11/15 07:02:56 UTC

click through license support?

One of the current problems with repositories such
as http://www.ibiblio.org/maven is their inability
to host products which have restrictive licensing schemes.
(See http://maven.apache.org/sun-licensing-journey.html for background)

E.g, ibiblio cannot host jars from Sun, because of the
requirement that users must manually accept Sun's license
before downloading the jars.

This reduces the usefulness of using the repository for
dependency resolution.

I see several possible workarounds for this:

Virtual hosting
---------------

With this approach, none of the artifacts are hosted within the
public repository.
http redirection is used to direct 'virtual' artifact accesses to
the real artifact.

The limitation of this approach is that automatic artifact resolution
can only work if the redirect is to the real artifact.
This rules out all of the Sun jars which require acceptance
of Sun's license first.

A tool can 'screen scrape' the redirected page, prompt the user
to accept the license and only download if the license is accepted,
but this doesn't work in the general case.

Direct hosting
--------------

With this approach, artifacts are hosted within the public
repository, but download is only enabled if the user agrees to the
license.

This implies that http redirection must be used and that tools
have to be intelligent enough to handle the redirection and prompt
the user.

The limitation of this approach is that direct hosting can only
be supported if an agreement can be made with the license holder.

Thoughts?

Re: click through license support?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Tim Anderson wrote:

> I was thinking of something like the following:
>
> 1. all artifacts in the repository are real or virtual.
> 2. real artifacts are hosted in the repository
> 3. virtual artifacts are not hosted, but refer to
>     the real artifact via:
>     4. http redirection
>     5. http redirection requiring processing

Exactly :-)

I'll leave the spec to you guys, but as for this, definitely +1
Apache must publish Apache artifacts, but if we really want this to
scale, we should make it possible for others to publish their own stuff
in their own repos.

(Thanks to spell checking now I always write 'definitely' correctly :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: click through license support?

Posted by Tim Anderson <tm...@netspace.net.au>.
I was thinking of something like the following:

1. all artifacts in the repository are real or virtual.
2. real artifacts are hosted in the repository
3. virtual artifacts are not hosted, but refer to
    the real artifact via:
    4. http redirection
    5. http redirection requiring processing

This group can certainly make statements about [1]-[4],
as they are language and platform neutral.
However, for the java space, [5] is perhaps the most useful.
I would like it to be part of the scope for this group,
to enable compatibility between tools.

E.g, given the URI:
  http://repo.apache.org/sun/jndi/jars/jndi-1.2.1.jar
a tool would automagically go to the Sun website, prompt the user
to accept the license, download the jndi-1_2_1.zip distribtion and
extract the jar.

In terms of implementation, this could be done via redirection
to a descriptor containing instructions for obtaining the
real artifact. This descriptor might consist of:
. the URL of the real artifact
. licensing requirements
. processing requirements to:
  . extract the artifact
    E.g, if the artifact is part of a larger distribution,
    how to extract it from that distribution.
  . massage the artifact
    E.g, renaming the artifact, or changing
    MANIFEST.MF Class-Path entries to use repository naming
    conventions.

The meta data required to support this are language and platform
specific. However, I think it should be easier to form a concensus
on the meta-data requirements and format to support this than
for other meta-data proposals which are more to do with
artifact description than artifact resolution.

-Tim

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

Posted by Tim Anderson <tm...@netspace.net.au>.
> From: Nick Chalko [mailto:nick@chalko.com]
>
> ASL does not require click's for it's license.
>
> I think this is out of scope.
> It is an important discusion for tools,  but we are not doing tools here.
>
> R,
> Nick

Yes and no. It would be useful if the repository could
host virtual artifacts.
This enables:
. a unified view of artifacts to be presented to
  both users and tools
. virtual artifacts to be augmented with meta-data
  E.g, sun jars could have associated maven project.xml
  files.
. federation support
  At the very least, tools would need to be aware that
  they need to follow http redirects to get to the
  real artifact.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I'm taking about downloading the whole thing from the sun site as
> users manually do. So there is effectively no distribuition
> difference.

You would have to pass through the license request to the user.  It would be
a bad idea for the tool to pose as a user without requiring user approval of
the actual license.

Not sure if you've already said that; just making sure that it gets noted.

Nick has a point that this is more of a tools discussion.  Any reference to
a click-through license would come from meta-data describing the location of
a dependency.

	--- Noel

Re: click through license support?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> I don't think a repository for distributing jars fits the requirements for
> (i) or (ii), and may possibly break (iii).
>
> And I don't think the ASF would like to agree to (vi).

Well, IIUC it's because it's a jar repo you are talking about. I'm
taking about downloading the whole thing from the sun site as users
manually do. So there is effectively no distribuition difference.

I am aware that you guys know more about this because you have been
pushing for this for such a long time. It's just that the issue was
about distributing the jar, and thought that getting the whole
distribution would be ok.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: licensing issues for virtual artifacts (was RE: click through license support?)

Posted by Tim Anderson <tm...@netspace.net.au>.
> From: Nick Chalko [mailto:nick@chalko.com]
>
> Tim Anderson wrote:
>
> >Can you clarify the licensing issues further? I'm having trouble
> >seeing what the problems are.
> >
> >Suppose ASF has the following link in the repository:
> >  http://repo.apache.org/sun/jndi/1.2.1/jars/jndi-1.2.1.jar
> >
> >This is a virtual artifact, not hosted at ASF.
> >

> I think what you describe was fine.
> I was looking the otherway.
> The ability to host a jar and ensure that a user "accepts" a license
> first.
>

> So what would we need  for a virutal artifact.
>
> A "entry-url"  and the rest is up to the user/tool?

There are a few approaches. The following assumptions
are made:
. virtual artifacts which require processing redirect
  to a descriptor hosted within the repository which
  describes how to get the real artifact.
. the descriptor refers either to the real artifact,
  or an artifact (call it target) containing the real
  artifact.

Possible approaches:

1. descriptor includes URL of target artifact.
   The limitation of this approach is that the tool
   has to be aware of the licensing and distribution of
   the target artifact.

2. descriptor includes code to get the target artifact
   For java, this could be a scripting mechanism based on BSF,
   ant or jelly.
   This may not be portable between tools:
   . tool requires a dependency on the scripting mechanism
   . tool may not be able to specify where the artifact
     is downloaded to

3. descriptor refers to code which can get the artifact
   For java, this would include the main class and URL classpath
   of the code to get the artifact. This code could be hosted
   in the repository.
   For portability between tools, an API would need to be specified
   to give tools control over how the target artifact is processed
   subsequent to its download.

-Tim

Re: licensing issues for virtual artifacts (was RE: click through license support?)

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Nov 23, 2003, at 4:02 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>> I'm the Apache JCP rep, and have had some talks with Sun about this
>> issue.  The object is to get a formal agreement from Sun to allow us
>> do this, without us having to try and interpret the license agreement.
>
> +1 to short circuit this and directly arrange the right thing with
> SUN; an
> das the ASF simply document a permission with them.
>
> We've got every indication from them that they _want_ these sort of
> things
> to be fixed - and not be a hurdle. I expect there to be enough trust
> between us and SUN that we can move the way/place/method of the click
> through.
>
> I've head that Jason has been having similar covnerstation - may be
> good
> for you two to sync up and make sure there is no overlap.

There shouldn't be.  I initially got the conversation going between
Jason and Tom, but it stopped.  I mentioned it to Graham at a JCP EC
meeting to help get it jumpstarted again, thinking that it had sunk
into the legal quagmire that can be the sun legal team :)

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: licensing issues for virtual artifacts (was RE: click through license support?)

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
I'd like to jump in here.  I'm lazy and will go back and read all the
threads later, but I've been overwhelmed recently, and just want to
relay some info :)

I'm the Apache JCP rep, and have had some talks with Sun about this
issue.  The object is to get a formal agreement from Sun to allow us to
do this, without us having to try and interpret the license agreement.

That said, I'm going to go back through the thread and catch up.  If
someone wants me to stop this activity with Sun, let me know.
Otherwise, I will do what I can to make the whole issue go away for us.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

>I agree it would be a nice to have, but is it a requirement for an ASF
>repo?

Agree,  lets wrap up the other specs first.  I think we should delay,
but a week or two maybe enough.
Comment on the "/" issue.  Help decidce in the version name not allowing
"release" or "latest"  etc.
When that is done, then we can come back to this.
I do think with all of Tim's excelent work we can wrap this up in a week
or two.

Re: licensing issues for virtual artifacts (was RE: click through license support?)

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote on 25/11/2003 07:23:15 PM:

> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>
> > Why don't we just focus on:
> >
> > a) getting an ASF-only repository up first, and
> > b) Getting the management and tooling for that
> >
> > before taking on virtual hosting.
> >
> > I'm failing to see the requirement for us to do that *now*.
>
> Because Apache projects using the repository would need also non-asf
> jars that we don't want to distribute -> virtual artifacts.

And there are other places those jars can be found.

I'm failing to see how this impacts a repo that stores ASF-only content.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Anderson <tm...@netspace.net.au>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Tim Anderson <tm...@netspace.net.au>.
See inline.

Convenience. ASF repository can provide a single point of
access for commonly used artifacts. This avoids the need
for users to be directed via documentation to various websites
to locate JARS for example, in order to build ASF programs.
As a consequence, it cuts down on emails like "I tried to build
X but it failed because class javax.foo.Bar not found".

> "Tim Anderson" <tm...@netspace.net.au> wrote on 21/11/2003 10:53:47 AM:
>
> > Can you clarify the licensing issues further? I'm having trouble
> > seeing what the problems are.
> >
> > Suppose ASF has the following link in the repository:
> >   http://repo.apache.org/sun/jndi/1.2.1/jars/jndi-1.2.1.jar
> >
> > This is a virtual artifact, not hosted at ASF.
> >
> > Via http redirection and magic, a download tool:
> > A. pops up a browser, requiring the user to accept Sun's license
> > B. downloads the corresponding jndi-1_2_1.zip distribution
> >    if and only if the user *manually* accepts the license
> > C. caches the distribution locally
> > D. extracts jndi.jar from the distribution for local use
> >
> > Taking the Sun license points one at a time:
> > . "(i): you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only
> >    bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Java
> >    applets or applications ("Programs")"
> >
> >    I don't see a violation here. The repository is not distributing
> >    JNDI - its facilitating its download.
> >    The download tool is not distributing JNDI - its facilitating
> >    its use by an application.
>
> IANAL, but the download tool is distributing the binary version of the
> code.

IANAL either, but how is this different to a user manually
downloading the distribution using IE, and then extracting it
with winzip? Neither Microsoft nor Winzip have any liability.

-Tim

Re: licensing issues for virtual artifacts (was RE: click through license support?)

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
I'm not sure of the relevance of this to an ASF repository, but....

"Tim Anderson" <tm...@netspace.net.au> wrote on 21/11/2003 10:53:47 AM:

> Can you clarify the licensing issues further? I'm having trouble
> seeing what the problems are.
>
> Suppose ASF has the following link in the repository:
>   http://repo.apache.org/sun/jndi/1.2.1/jars/jndi-1.2.1.jar
>
> This is a virtual artifact, not hosted at ASF.
>
> Via http redirection and magic, a download tool:
> A. pops up a browser, requiring the user to accept Sun's license
> B. downloads the corresponding jndi-1_2_1.zip distribution
>    if and only if the user *manually* accepts the license
> C. caches the distribution locally
> D. extracts jndi.jar from the distribution for local use
>
> Taking the Sun license points one at a time:
> . "(i): you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only
>    bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Java
>    applets or applications ("Programs")"
>
>    I don't see a violation here. The repository is not distributing
>    JNDI - its facilitating its download.
>    The download tool is not distributing JNDI - its facilitating
>    its use by an application.

IANAL, but the download tool is distributing the binary version of the
code.

[snip]
> . "(v) you only distribute the Software subject to a license
>    agreement that protects Sun's interests consistent with the terms
>    contained in this Agreement, and"
>
>    Again, the onus is on the end user to satisfy this part of the
license.

This depends on how someone defines 'distribute'.

> . "(vi) you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from
>   and against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts
>   and/or expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in connection
with
>   any claim, lawsuit or action by any third party that arises or results
>   from the use or distribution of any and all Programs and/or Software."
>
>   The ASF has not distributed the software, so it can't be liable.

If the download tool has distributed the software, and it's ASF's download
tool....

> If this has been discussed elsewhere, could you post a link?

Maybe Jason can provide a link to the board discussion asking us to stop
doing the distribution.

Posted by Tim Anderson <tm...@netspace.net.au>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote on 15/11/2003 10:00:07 PM:
>

>>Tim Anderson wrote:
>>>A tool can 'screen scrape' the redirected page, prompt the user
>>>to accept the license and only download if the license is accepted,
>>
>>If the tool is made to work like a web browser, ie show the pages and
>>then download when the user clicks on the button, IMHO it would be
>>perfectly acceptable.
>
> But still illegal.

I still don't understand why.

I mean, if:

  1-  the program opens the browser on the product download page
  2 - the user does the download steps as usual
  3 - the program gets the downloaded artifact from the local download
      location

Why would we be breaking the license? The only difference between this
approach and the usual one is that the download location is linked.

> We've been down this road and are working with Sun on a solution. We have
> (had?) a tool that would do the above in Maven ages ago.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

> See http://maven.apache.org/sun-licensing-journey.html

Very good that you have this page, thanks for the pointer.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: click through license support?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote on 15/11/2003 10:00:07 PM:

> Tim Anderson wrote:
> > Virtual hosting
> > ---------------
> >
> > With this approach, none of the artifacts are hosted within the
> > public repository.
> > http redirection is used to direct 'virtual' artifact accesses to
> > the real artifact.
> >
> > The limitation of this approach is that automatic artifact resolution
> > can only work if the redirect is to the real artifact.
> > This rules out all of the Sun jars which require acceptance
> > of Sun's license first.
> >
> > A tool can 'screen scrape' the redirected page, prompt the user
> > to accept the license and only download if the license is accepted,
>
> If the tool is made to work like a web browser, ie show the pages and
> then download when the user clicks on the button, IMHO it would be
> perfectly acceptable.
But still illegal.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.