Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/01 14:47:55 UTC

Re: [Gogo] Mavenize gogo

I've committed some work yesterday around mavenizing gogo.
I've split it in several parts for now:
  * runtime: contains the apis and the implementation of the two main
service (threadio, commandProcessor)
  * console: this module contains the basic stdio console + telnet
stuff which is currently not used
  * launcher: supposed to be able to be used without osgi to actually
launch the framework (status unknown)

I see several options:
  * keep the current split and maybe move the telnet stuff in its own module
  * refactor into a single bundle and use properties from the bundle
context / config admin to decide wether we need to launch the console
and / or telnet

Also, there is an emulation layer for equinox which is currently not
used.  We need to either find a way to activate it (maybe through
properties too) and maybe write another one for felix to emulate the
set of commands provided by the shell subproject ...

Feedback welcome.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [Gogo] Mavenize gogo

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 7/1/09 8:47 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> I've committed some work yesterday around mavenizing gogo.
> I've split it in several parts for now:
>    * runtime: contains the apis and the implementation of the two main
> service (threadio, commandProcessor)
>    * console: this module contains the basic stdio console + telnet
> stuff which is currently not used
>    * launcher: supposed to be able to be used without osgi to actually
> launch the framework (status unknown)

I renamed the modules to use "." naming, like we have done elsewhere.

> I see several options:
>    * keep the current split and maybe move the telnet stuff in its own module
>    * refactor into a single bundle and use properties from the bundle
> context / config admin to decide wether we need to launch the console
> and / or telnet

The important thing, I think, is to at least have a reasonable shell
working with a single bundle. If we have less used features in optional
bundles, I am fine with that.

Regarding the launcher, I think the point here was to make it possible
to run it as a bundle or an application. With the standard launching and
embedding API, it should be fairly easy for us to do this.

> Also, there is an emulation layer for equinox which is currently not
> used.  We need to either find a way to activate it (maybe through
> properties too) and maybe write another one for felix to emulate the
> set of commands provided by the shell subproject ...

I would suggest we just get rid of it completely, since we don't want to
be responsible for tracking Equinox shell changes. If we do anything, we
should create a new set of commands based on our shell commands, but
perhaps improved and renamed.

I actually started to play with some new command ideas in the current
shell trunk recently; for example, I added an "inspect" command to
replace a whole bunch of commands for inspecting packages, services,
required bundles, etc.

-> richard