Posted to builds@apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2011/02/03 14:28:19 UTC

Questions : install Jenkins instead of Hudson

Hi all,
I'm sure some of you followed this story :-).

Two questions :
* which code branch do we have to follow ( Jenkins or Oracle : IMHO
the most active is the Jenkins one)
* do we have to rename hudson.apache.org to jenkins.apache.org

Thoughts ? (and sure no rush :-) )

Olivier Lamy
http://twitter.com/olamy
http://www.linkedin.com/in/olamy

RE: Questions : install Jenkins instead of Hudson

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Jenkins also fixes the Clover.xml problems affecting almost every
clover-enabled build (hopefully):
https://github.com/lacostej/jenkins/commit/31b8361d3152fb7970e1c11c906a763fa
1aa5c25 (see also attached issue mail arriving here few minutes ago). It's
very important to fix this ASAP, as we have broken builds because of this
bug since months!

I don't know what the best way to handle this is. Maybe we patch our latest
Hudson with the supplied patch?

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
Posted by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 for Jenkins.

regards,
Giri

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Fair enough Paul, but that was a preference.  They would not have been
sued for trademark violations over the name java.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Totally agree.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Even if the trademark stuff is marginally relevant, having the redirect in
place actually lets us change the real name
sooner rather than later and thus be more cautious rather than less.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I totally buy this.. I like builds.a.o.  My primary concern was
over scripts.  :)  I only have so many hours in the day.  Good news
is.. I think builds will cover this now and in the future..

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1 for builds.a.o

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 13:33, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Gav... <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
>> I didn't really want to break up Buildbot pages and its well established
>> (2 years+) links to cater for another build system.
>>
>> It is possible to add /jenkins without breaking them,
>>
>> I'll have a think about it some more, thanks
>
> I was thinking of just adding something like this:
>
>    ProxyPass /jenkins http://internal-server-name.apache.org/jenkins/

Broadly +1 on this approach, but note that when Spamassassin were
running buildbot, we had trouble with this -- mod_proxy couldn't deal
with the long-running connections with a constant "trickle" of output
as you see when you're "tailing" a build log.  This was quite a while
ago however, and I talked to jerenkrantz about it and he suggested an
upgrade, so this may have been fixed since then.

--j.

Re: Questions : install Jenkins instead of Hudson

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Gav... <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> I didn't really want to break up Buildbot pages and its well established
> (2 years+) links to cater for another build system.
>
> It is possible to add /jenkins without breaking them,
>
> I'll have a think about it some more, thanks

I was thinking of just adding something like this:

    ProxyPass /jenkins http://internal-server-name.apache.org/jenkins/

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: Questions : install Jenkins instead of Hudson

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.

Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

RE: Questions : install Jenkins instead of Hudson

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

> The Hudson domain name go, the Jenkins name will NOT appear in its place.

That's exactly my opinion, too.

> We need to learn and not use brand names as domain (sub) domains.

Jenkins is not a brand (currently) but it may get one. More important is:
why do we need the product name as part of the URL. The good old style guide
@ http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html is still correct and clearly
says what we should *not* do: Use parts of our infrastructure in URLs. In my
opinion, the name of the domain should be something generic and not the
product name. We have issues.apache org and not jira.apache.org, same should
be for Hudson/Jenkins whatever!

> So we need to think of a generic name, apply it real soon - within the
next
> day or two, then redirect the old Hudson name for a few days.
>
> get thinking before I just pick one.

+1! Just simple: builds.apache.org?

> Gav...

Uwe

P.S.: By the way, all Hudson servers run as user id Hudson, should we also
change this, too? -- oh no!

RE: Questions : install Jenkins instead of Hudson

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
All,

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: AW: Questions : install Jenkins instead of Hudson

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 for redirect.  It will allow us time to switch our cron scripts
which pull information from hudson.  Will anything else I  our URL's
to the artifacts change?

Posted by Jan Matèrne <ap...@materne.de>.
+1 for Jenkins

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
+1 for jenkins

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Matthias Wessendorf

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I'm in favor of Jenkins, and I think the rename would be wise to
reduce internal confusion.