Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Hien Luu <hl...@yahoo.com> on 2010/04/23 20:27:05 UTC

MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager Not Closing Idle HttpConnection

Hi,

We are using HTTPClient-3.1 and I was wondering if someone can confirm this.

Let's say MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager  is configured as follow:

http.connection-manager.max-per-host: 10
http.connection-manager.max-total: 50

and then I call HttpClient.executeMethod() twice.  So now there are two connections in the free connection list.

And for the next 2 hours, there are no call to HttpClient.executeMethod().  So basically those two
connections are idle for that 2 hours duration.  Does MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager try to free or close those
2 idle connections?

I was looking at the HTTPClient-3.1 source code and ran a simple test, it seems like MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager
doesn't do anything with those 2 connections.

Basically the HttpConnection pool size goes up and does not go down.  It would be great to get a confirmation if what I am seeing
is correct.

I see there is IdleConnectionTimeoutThread.java class, but I don't see where it is used except in TestIdleConnectionTimeout test case.

Thanks,

Hien