Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Naresh Bhatia <na...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/31 22:01:56 UTC

Understanding the CMIS spec

I am trying to understand the CMIS spec by looking at the Atom output from
Alfresco. From the spec it looks like most CMIS attributes are represented
as Object properties. However when I look at the Atom output, there are
similar attributes floating outside of properties. For example (highly
simplified output):

<entry>

    <author>
        <name>nbhatia</name>
    </author>

    <id>urn:uuid:5c92e5a7-8563-4a15-8b92-bb4d8ae55ae0</id>

    <title>cmis-article.pdf</title>

    <summary>Examples using CMIS, Abdera, &amp; Chemistry</summary>

    <published>2011-05-25T17:15:36.740Z</published>

    <updated>2011-05-25T17:15:40.045Z</updated>

    <cmisra:object>
        <cmis:properties>
            <cmis:propertyString propertyDefinitionId="cmis:createdBy">
                <cmis:value>nbhatia</cmis:value>
            </cmis:propertyString>

            <cmis:propertyId propertyDefinitionId="cmis:objectId">

<cmis:value>workspace://SpacesStore/5c92e5a7-8563-4a15-8b92-bb4d8ae55ae0</cmis:value>
            </cmis:propertyId>

            <cmis:propertyString propertyDefinitionId="cmis:name">
                <cmis:value>cmis-article.pdf</cmis:value>
            </cmis:propertyString>

            <cmis:propertyDateTime propertyDefinitionId="cmis:creationDate">
                <cmis:value>2011-05-25T17:15:36.740Z</cmis:value>
            </cmis:propertyDateTime>

            <cmis:propertyDateTime
propertyDefinitionId="cmis:lastModificationDate">
                <cmis:value>2011-05-25T17:15:40.045Z</cmis:value>
            </cmis:propertyDateTime>
        </cmis:properties>
    </cmisra:object>

</entry>

   - Are the attributes at the top (author, id, title, summary, published,
   updated) accessible via CMIS?
   - Why are the values of <id> and CMIS property objectId different?
   - Is the <summary> value accessible via CMIS? It does not seem to be a
   CMIS object property.

Thanks.
Naresh Bhatia

Re: Understanding the CMIS spec

Posted by Naresh Bhatia <bh...@comcast.net>.
Ryan, thanks for the quick response. Makes perfect sense!

Naresh

Posted by Naresh Bhatia <bh...@comcast.net>.
Thanks! I will start looking into these.

Naresh

Posted by Ryan McVeigh <rm...@ziaconsulting.com>.

Posted by Naresh Bhatia <bh...@comcast.net>.
Forgot to mention that cmis:createdBy returns the username in case of
Alfresco instead of first and last name - that doesn't work for me. Sorry to
comment on implementation specifics again, but just wanted to clarify that I

Posted by Ryan McVeigh <rm...@ziaconsulting.com>.
The CMIS spec doesn't cover a description property for documents, so there's
no platform agnostic way to do that.  CMIS doesn't (yet) specify how to add
new properties, but you can inspect the various types in the system and
their property definitions to know what each type will include for a
document of that type.  In CMIS 1.1, type mutability is a possibility - but
that's a long way out before it shows up in a repository's implementation -
never mind that it'll be optional.  You can at least use the repository to
add properties and access them via CMIS.

-Ryan

Posted by Naresh Bhatia <bh...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Ryan McVeigh <rm...@ziaconsulting.com>.

Posted by Naresh Bhatia <bh...@comcast.net>.
Thanks Florent, good explanation of the why behind some of my observations!

Naresh

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.

Posted by Naresh Bhatia <bh...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Ryan McVeigh <rm...@ziaconsulting.com>.
Those attributes at the top are atom elements, not CMIS ones.  The spec
identifies what they should be though - for example title should be
cmis:name.  The properties are all accessible but perhaps not exposed from
the OpenCMIS API when using the AtomPub binding of the server.  This is
likely because the same properties aren't available in the web services
binding (e.g. summary), and OpenCMIS should be binding agnostic.  To write a