Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Alexander Banthien <ba...@justec.de> on 2001/06/25 11:49:37 UTC

intake interdependencies

Hi,

I only just started getting into intake and read a bit in the mailings.
I might need a tool like intake soon. One question.

Does intake provide the means for checking wether forms were filled out
correctly with interdependant cells.
Example:
1: Do you own a car?   yes|no
2: Wich type? String

the second entry being mandatory, if the first has been checked to yes.

And allow me a newbie-question: is intake more or less ready to use?

Regards and thanks, Alexander

Alexander Banthien       banthien@justec.de
JusTec GmbH              +49 761 401269 41
Haslacher Str. 126       +49 761 401269 13 (Fax)
79115 Freiburg   Germany

Re: intake interdependencies

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
With John's help I managed to get intake working late last week. So I
can answer your questions with the full power of my three days of
experience ;-]

> Does intake provide the means for checking wether forms were filled out
> correctly with interdependant cells.
> Example:
> 1: Do you own a car?   yes|no
> 2: Wich type? String
>
> the second entry being mandatory, if the first has been checked to yes.

I am not aware of any rules that would cater for this but you might be
able to do something programatically by manipulating the value of
a 'required' rule.

I have not actually seen a list of the rules that intake supports.  So far
I have only seen 'required', 'minLength', 'maxLength', 'minValue',
'maxValue' and 'mask'.

You should note that intake is a server side technology, none of the
validation rules supported by intake are enforced until the user
submits the form to the server.

> And allow me a newbie-question: is intake more or less ready to use?

For server side validation it appears to work and I certainly intend
using it in the application I am currently developing.  A word of
caution however, the documentation for intake is not up to date
and as a result it is a little cryptic.  If you are interested then I
suggest you look at the mail archive for last week for the thread
with the subject "intake problems".

Scott