Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by ol...@bluewin.ch on 2004/01/30 18:29:42 UTC

[JIRA][Bugzilla][HttpClient] should I stay or should I go?

I sent the message below to infrastructure@apache.org and jira@apache.org
a week ago following a rather animated discussion on this list about prospects
of Jakarta Commons wholesale migration to JIRA. Apparently our infrastructure
people have enough on their plates these days, so I can't blame them for
being unable to respond.

I felt that some of our questions could be answered here. If this is not
the appropriate venue to discuss JIRA vs Bugzilla issue, I'd appreciate any
pointer as to where I should turn next

-------------------------- Original message dated Thu 22/01/2004 21:28
Good day,

Following the proposal to migrate Jakarta Commons projects from Bugzilla
to JIRA posted to the Jakarta commons-dev list, we would like to have a
few points clarified, before the final decision can be made whether
Jakarta Commons HttpClient project stays with Bugzilla or migrates
(kindly requests to be migrated) to JIRA.

* Do you actually encourage migration from Bugzilla to JIRA? Will it
make the task of to administering and supporting projects'
infrastructure (issue tracking in the first place) easier for you?

* Can existing bug reports (including closed ones) be migrated to JIRA
in their entirety, if at all? What kind of data would not be migrated
automatically? Would existing user accounts be preserved?

* We (HttpClient committers & contributors) have been in fact quite
satisfied with Bugzilla so far. It has served us well. The only thing we
have found constraining is the release management (versions, milestones,
etc). As an alternative to migration to JIRA would it be possible to
promote HttpClient from a component of Jakarta-commons project to a full
fledged top level project with its own set of versions and milestones?
HttpClient has already got its own mailing list. HttpClient related
content constitutes 20-30% Bugzilla entries for the Jakarta-commons
project. I believe this might be the best option, as least as far as we
are concerned. I am just not sure it is technically feasible.

Cheers,

Oleg

Re: [JIRA][Bugzilla][HttpClient] should I stay or should I go?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Oleg,

Sorry, I thought many of these points were addressed in the general
discussion about commons and JIRA.  I will respond specifically to each
of your questions below...

olegk@bluewin.ch wrote:
> * Do you actually encourage migration from Bugzilla to JIRA? Will it
> make the task of to administering and supporting projects'
> infrastructure (issue tracking in the first place) easier for you?

No, we will not encourage.

> * Can existing bug reports (including closed ones) be migrated to JIRA
> in their entirety, if at all? What kind of data would not be migrated
> automatically? Would existing user accounts be preserved?

Yes, existing bug reports can be transfered in their entirety.  There is
a data migration process.  All accounts would also be preserved,
although after the conversion, if you change your password in one place
(JIRA or bugzilla), it won't change in the other.

> * We (HttpClient committers & contributors) have been in fact quite
> satisfied with Bugzilla so far. It has served us well. The only thing we
> have found constraining is the release management (versions, milestones,
> etc).

Agreed, release management is really the kicker for why I wanted it for
the James project and why I've been (slowly) getting JIRA running.

 > As an alternative to migration to JIRA would it be possible to
> promote HttpClient from a component of Jakarta-commons project to a full
> fledged top level project with its own set of versions and milestones?
> HttpClient has already got its own mailing list. HttpClient related
> content constitutes 20-30% Bugzilla entries for the Jakarta-commons
> project. I believe this might be the best option, as least as far as we
> are concerned. I am just not sure it is technically feasible.

I don't know who or if anybody maintains the bugzilla info.  I would
send just this request to the infrastructure mailing list and hopefully
someone can help.

--
Serge Knystautas
President