Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ray <ra...@rayweb.de> on 2008/03/06 16:23:11 UTC

MultiSearcher to overcome the Integer.MAX_VALUE limit

Hey Guys,

just a quick question to confirm an assumption I have.

Is it correct that I can have around 100 Indexes each at its
Integer.MAX_VALUE limit of documents, but can happily
search  them all with a MultiSearcher if all combined returned
hits don't add up to the Integer.MAX_VALUE themselves ?

Kind regards,

Ray.

Re: MultiSearcher to overcome the Integer.MAX_VALUE limit

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Well, I really don't have a clue what'll happen with that many
documents. It's more a matter of unique terms from what I
understand.

I'll be *really* curious how it turns out.

Erick

Posted by sp...@gmx.eu.
> Right...  but trust me, you really wouldn't want to.  You need
> distributed search at that level anyway.

Hm, 2 billion small docs are not so much.
Why do I need distributed search and what exactly do you means with
distributed search? Multiple IndexSearchers? Multiple processes? Multiple
machines?

Re: MultiSearcher to overcome the Integer.MAX_VALUE limit

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 2:06 PM,  <sp...@gmx.eu> wrote:
> Does this mean that I cannot search indexes with more than 2 billion docs at
>  all with a single IndexSearcher?

Right...  but trust me, you really wouldn't want to.  You need
distributed search at that level anyway.

-Yonik

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.