Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Laurent Trillaud <lt...@jouve.fr> on 2003/10/24 15:55:29 UTC

[RT] Portal Engine with multiple menus and multiple levels

Hi cocooners
First of all, thanks to Carsten and all the others contributors for this
excellent portal engine with skin capabilities.
But it seems that I reach the limit with menus handlers. I wanna use the
portal for a big web site with the following functionalities:
- a menu can have multiple level
- a work area can be driven by more than one menu (i.e. horizontal,
vertical, contextual)
- a page can have more than one work area
- a menu can have more than one render (i.e. dhtml and text)
My first idea was to write a new renderer, but from the point of view of
a cocoon's user isn't a piece of cake because you have to solve:
- miscellaneous parameters in cocoon.xconf
- database mapping for new tags in layout.xml
- persistence of the selected item
- and so on.
But even with brand new renderers, I not sure to fill all
functionalities.
IMO the main restriction is the nest of XSL, driven by the
composite-layout. You haven't a total freedom to organize the page as
you want.
Therefore the second idea is to consider menu like a regular coplet.
A cocoon's user design its menus with its own pipelines and just
configure new coplets - no more renderer to code, java to compile - and
associate a menu item with an event id. The selected item can be store
with the persistence mechanism of the coplet.
The portal.xml becomes a flat list of all menu items by their event id
with all composite-layout under to describe the page as usual.
The main stuff to do is to associate a fixed event number to a menu
item. The benefit will be to have also a bookmarkable portal.
So, as a conclusion: does make sense?
Laurent Trillaud