Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2007/06/24 19:56:52 UTC

What about HttpClient? (was: Commons is TLP)

Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> +1 to keep httpclient and move it to httpcomponents.

I've taken a first look at things. Moving the tree in
Subversion should be painless. Then we have to update
the SVN links on the website. Changing them in xdocs
is easy, but it will take some careful review to make
sure that the site generated from the new tree location
is still OK. I haven't stumbled across relative links
to outside resources yet, so maybe we're not going to
run into problems from that side.

The commons list of subprojects is hard-coded, so the
missing httpclient subtree in SVN should not affect it.
We will have a problem when the commons website moves
though. I see several options:

1. Keep the httpclient site with the rest of commons
and move it to the new TLP domain. We'll have to update
the httpclient build with the new location and redeploy.
(Anything I've forgotten?)

2. Move the httpclient site to httpcomponents. Since
httpcomponents is unlikely to remain in Jakarta
indefinitely, that means the site would move again
later this year. Two moves within a few months is a
bit too disruptive to users for my liking.

3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
Jakarta.

Please share your thoughts on this. My preferred option
is 3, but I don't know how much trouble that will cause
when setting up redirects to the new commons site.

I don't have a Maven 1 environment set up to play around
right now, but I'll give it a try next week-end if time
permits. Oleg will be busy with the upcoming releases.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>> The question is really whether the Commons TLP owns the HttpClient
>> codebase.
> Based on the project's charter approved by the Jakarta PMC on Oct 31st,
> 2005 the HttpComponents project is meant to have the ownership of the
> Commons HttpClient codebase
Thats great! Thanks for the link.

> My preference is to not not move stuff around (option 1).

But option 1 does move stuff around. It moves it to commons.apache.org
which is misleading to both the commons and jakarta groups. And is why I
suggested option 3, where HttpClient retains the same URL as now.

Stephen

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 21:26 +0100, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Roland Weber wrote:
> > 1. Keep the httpclient site with the rest of commons
> > and move it to the new TLP domain. We'll have to update
> > the httpclient build with the new location and redeploy.
> > (Anything I've forgotten?)
> >
> > 2. Move the httpclient site to httpcomponents. Since
> > httpcomponents is unlikely to remain in Jakarta
> > indefinitely, that means the site would move again
> > later this year. Two moves within a few months is a
> > bit too disruptive to users for my liking.
> >
> > 3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
> > in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
> > Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
> > Jakarta.
>
> The question is really whether the Commons TLP owns the HttpClient
> codebase.

Stephen et al

Based on the project's charter approved by the Jakarta PMC on Oct 31st,
2005 the HttpComponents project is meant to have the ownership of the
Commons HttpClient codebase

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/project/project-charter.txt

It all did not matter much while we were still one (more or less) happy
family.

My preference is to not not move stuff around (option 1). I am planning
to cut HttpClient 3.1 final release shortly after HttpClient 4.0 alpha1.
3.1 is very likely to be the last release of the HttpClient 3.x codebase
unless some serious security or legal problems are found. There is no
point in investing a lot of efforts into a codeline, which is going to
become dormant very soon.

Oleg

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Roland Weber wrote:
> 1. Keep the httpclient site with the rest of commons
> and move it to the new TLP domain. We'll have to update
> the httpclient build with the new location and redeploy.
> (Anything I've forgotten?)
>
> 2. Move the httpclient site to httpcomponents. Since
> httpcomponents is unlikely to remain in Jakarta
> indefinitely, that means the site would move again
> later this year. Two moves within a few months is a
> bit too disruptive to users for my liking.
>
> 3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
> in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
> Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
> Jakarta.

The question is really whether the Commons TLP owns the HttpClient
codebase. I don't believe its terribly sensible for it to do so. All

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Roland Weber wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> Plus the svn move will be painful.
>
> I'd like to give the svn move a try rather sooner than
> later. What kind of problems do you expect?

I am beginning to understand. Quite a few links spread
across the site, mainly to code examples. I even found
one link still pointing to cvs :-)
Nightly Builds.
Gump.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Henri,

Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 6/24/07, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> 3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
>> in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
>> Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
>> Jakarta.
>>
>> Please share your thoughts on this. My preferred option
>> is 3, but I don't know how much trouble that will cause
>> when setting up redirects to the new commons site.
>
> Probably some. Plus the svn move will be painful.

I'd like to give the svn move a try rather sooner than
later. What kind of problems do you expect? My idea is
to copy the current trunk plus old tags/branches to the
new location, followed by an update of the SVN locations
in the site xdocs. Anything I forgot? If I am not mistaken,
the HttpClient build is independent of the commons build.

> Either 1 or 2 seem fine to me and whatever those committing to
> HttpComponent/HttpClient want to do is fine by me. 3 seems painful to
> do.

Ok.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: What about HttpClient? (was: Commons is TLP)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 6/24/07, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:

> 1. Keep the httpclient site with the rest of commons
> and move it to the new TLP domain. We'll have to update
> the httpclient build with the new location and redeploy.
> (Anything I've forgotten?)
>
> 2. Move the httpclient site to httpcomponents. Since
> httpcomponents is unlikely to remain in Jakarta
> indefinitely, that means the site would move again
> later this year. Two moves within a few months is a
> bit too disruptive to users for my liking.
>
> 3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
> in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
> Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
> Jakarta.
>
> Please share your thoughts on this. My preferred option
> is 3, but I don't know how much trouble that will cause
> when setting up redirects to the new commons site.

Probably some. Plus the svn move will be painful.

Either 1 or 2 seem fine to me and whatever those committing to
HttpComponent/HttpClient want to do is fine by me. 3 seems painful to
do.

Hen