Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by MSafiri <zs...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/07 09:41:36 UTC

Sheet sliding in from the left/right/bottom - Is there a way?

Dear All,

I understood that the Sheet, by default, opens from the top of its owner. Is
there a way to set from which side this should slide in? like, left, right,
bottom?

A screen example is attached to illustrate what I would like to achieve (the
TableView have some rubbish inside).

Thanks alot for your help,

http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/file/n2032319/3.png

MSafiri

Re: Sheet sliding in from the left/right/bottom - Is there a way?

Posted by MSafiri <zs...@gmail.com>.

Sandro Martini wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
>> Hope you will be able to make it shortly.
> Ok, I like this feature, but probably "shortly" here will be 2.1, or a
> 2.0.x (but for this we have to see what other Pivot developers say).
>

> Msafiri, can you open a ticket in JIRA for this (maybe with a link to this
> thread, and some info) for the 2.1 ?
> We are always in time to move to a 2.0.x maintenance release if other
> developers say it's Ok.
>

> Thank you very much.
>
> Bye,
> Sandro

Dear Sandro,

The ticket is done, though not sure it is done in the right way.

Cheers,

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
Yes, as Sandro says, until it is released, only bug fixes are likely to make
it into Piviot 2.0.
However if this change is as simple as it looks (although they rarely are!)
then I can post my source here as soon as it is complete, so that anyone is
free to use it if they wish.

Chris

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi to all,

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
FYI - My idea was to have different kinds of contextual data in each of the
4 sheets (LEFT, RIGHT, TOP, BOTTOM).  Then the user would be able to view
that data using keystrokes like CTRL+SHIFT+RIGHT to bring the left sided
pane into view, or CTRL+SHIFT+DOWN to slide in a sheet from the top.

I haven't trued this yet, so don't know how well it would work in reality.
 One thing I am undecided on is whether the keystroke should indicate where
the sheet is coming from.
CTRL+SHIFT+LEFT = slide in from left or CTRL+SHIFT+RIGHT = slide the left
hand panel into view by moving it right.

At the moment I trigger the display of certain sheets with the ALT+DOWN key
which slides a standard Pivot Sheet in from the top.

Chris

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
Apologies for the delay in getting this patch onto JIRA - I just haven't
been able to find the time.

It is now attached to the ticket along with an example application

Chris

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dirk Möbius <dm...@scoop-gmbh.de>.
Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed.  I thought a centered destination could be useful a little while
> after I wrote my email.
>
> There could be a boolean style of 'centerOnOwner' (not a great name) which
> would be used in conjunction with the other style.  That would allow the
> user to specify where the sheet slides in from, and whether it stays aligned
> to that side, or ends up centred,
>
> I don't think we need to be able to specify *both* where the sheet slides in
> FROM, and where it slides TO, but it would be possible with 2 styles named
> 'slideSource' and 'slideDestination' rather than the others mentioned above.
>
> SlideSource would allow LEFT/RIGHT/UP/DOWN, but not CENTER.
> SlideDestination would allow LEFT/RIGHT/UP/DOWN and CENTER.

Agreed. And I don't think we need the big solution, too. Your first
proposal 'centerOnOwner' is easier to implement.

Dirk.

Re: Sheet sliding in from the left/right/bottom - Is there a way?

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dirk Möbius <dm...@scoop-gmbh.de>.

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.