Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2007/04/26 18:02:23 UTC

Re: JIRA/gmail threading

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 11:56:53AM -0500, Dominique Devienne wrote:
>> On 4/24/07, Alexey Solofnenko <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> GMail itself does not honour threading info. For each bug, I get two
>>> message
>>> threads - one with "NEW" and another with continuation. The thread is also
>>> broken in GMail, if the title is changed.  There is no such problem in
>>> Thunderbird.
>> True enough, GMail does get confused sometimes, and put the NEW email
>> separately from the rest of the thread, but it works often enough to
>> be useful. Does Thunderbird do proper threading with JIRA emails? In
>> any case, I prefer online access from anywhere to these mails, so
>> Thunderbird is not really on option for me.
>>
>> Hopefully someone who knows JIRA well can tell me it does do threading
>> correctly, to remove my objection (or I should say plays nice with
>> GMail). --DD
>
> JIRA appends an In-Reply-To: <messageid> headers to replies, just as RFC
> 2822 says it should. This results in threading in Thunderbird and
> (AFAIK) most other mail clients, including Outlook.
>
> GMail appears to simply rely on the Subject. This seems plain broken to
> me, even for regular usage. Eg. in this mail I've changed the subject to
> reflect the change in focus, but it's still the same thread (as
> evidenced by the In-Reply-To), and mail clients should reflect that.

Maybe they thought they knew better, to stop 'thread hijacking' where
you reply to a message with a completely different subject and message
body. Maybe being a search engine vendor, everything is a search
problem, just as with MS, everything is something you should get at by
double clicking on icons in a GUI.

> If anyone knows of magic headers to get GMail to thread mails with
> different subjects, please let me know and we'll add it to JIRA.
> Otherwise I guess there will have to be a "Use uninformative subjects"
> flag to appease gmail.

That would suit this team's needs very well.

-steve