Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2018/06/13 16:22:41 UTC

Committers vs. PPMC members

Hi all,

I checked this URL, which is accessible to Apache committers only, and I
noticed that the people we thought we had voted on as PPMC members are
listed as committers.

https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/netbeans

...which is not a problem during incubation, but can be a problem at the
end of incubation when the list of PPMC members is taken as the basis of
the new PMC, at which point 'mere' committers would be left out.

Is anyone opposed for considering all committers to be part of the PPMC?
Effectively, during incubation, there is no difference between the roles.

If no one disagrees in 72 hours, the above will be the way it is.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Committers vs. PPMC members

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 6:22 PM Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...I
> noticed that the people we thought we had voted on as PPMC members are
> listed as committers....

In the future, it's best to explicitly mention "electing someone as
PPMC member and committer" when electing people on the NetBeans
private list, to avoid any ambiguities.

-Bertrand

Re: Committers vs. PPMC members

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
All you have to do is find the vote (vote result) threads on private@ and show that the vote was for the PPMC too.

With those URLs contact a mentor (or the secretary?) to correct the whimsy entry. That's it.

You don't need a vote to do this, you are just pointing you a clerical error.

--emi

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Great, many thanks Junichi and Antonio.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Possible, but from recent interactions with Bertrand our mentor, an action
item I have is to make http://incubator.apache.org/projects/netbeans.html
as empty as possible and cross reference from there to other sites as much
as possible, since according to him we should consider
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/netbeans as the most official list of
data on Apache NetBeans, because it is generated and because Whimsy is the
new way to go.

But I could be wrong.

Gj

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
No, it doesn't (IMHO).

Maybe we want to delete some Confluence pages, after updating old links.

I'll find out if Confluence has a "what links here" feature that makes
updating links easier.

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
Thank you!

--emi

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
All done!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
Please correct:

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 06/13/2018 11:22 AM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I checked this URL, which is accessible to Apache committers only, and I
> noticed that the people we thought we had voted on as PPMC members are
> listed as committers.
>
> https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/netbeans
>
> ...which is not a problem during incubation, but can be a problem at the
> end of incubation when the list of PPMC members is taken as the basis of
> the new PMC, at which point 'mere' committers would be left out.

Can be, but really isn't. At graduation, we propose a PMC to the board.
This PMC does not need to be solely PPMC members, you can include anyone
you wish.

> Is anyone opposed for considering all committers to be part of the PPMC?
> Effectively, during incubation, there is no difference between the roles.
>
> If no one disagrees in 72 hours, the above will be the way it is.

While I don't disagree with the goal, I would request a vote on this in
the PPMC, since it is a de facto project bylaw change, which would
require either a chair (which we don't have) proposing it or an
affirmative vote.