Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/05/03 19:41:25 UTC

[VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk

Hi all,

following our discussion about Karaf clustering and Cellar, I would like
to launch a vote to add Cellar into Karaf trunk.

This addition covers the following topics:

1/ Source code
Currently, Cellar source code is on github. It will be added into Karaf
trunk, on a cellar maven module.
All package will be named to org.apache.karaf.cellar and all resources
(java, properties, etc) will include Apache header.

2/ Provided features
Before inclusion, Ioannis and I would include a new feature which allow
you to choose the node discovery mechanism:
- static list
- unicast
- multicast
- etc
I started to work on it this afternoon, it should be available soon.

3/ Documentation resources
The Karaf user and developers manuals will contain Cellar installation
and user guide. First step is to complete the Karaf cluster wiki page,
and refactore the Ioannis' blog content into user and developers manuals.

Depending of the result of the vote, I will raise the corresponding Jira
and I will work on it.

I have a couple of Karaf Cellar related topics:
- I launched a discussion on Apache ACE mailing list. As ACE supports
cloud environment (using jclouds), I would like to avoid overlap between
ACE and Karaf. The first ACE team feedbacks are good as we consider ACE
as a pure provisioning platform. I will keep you posted about this
discussion. On the same area (relationship with others Apache projects),
I think that we have to discuss with Camel, ServiceMix, CXF, ActiveMQ,
and others about we can improve Karaf Cellar to provide services for
these projects.
- I submitted a talk for the next ApacheCon 2011 (Vancouver, 5th-11th
November) about Karaf in an enterprise environment. It will include
Karaf 3.0.0 new features presentation and of course Karaf Cellar
introduction. I also plan to make a demo using Karaf, Cellar, and ACE to
show how Karaf is a powerful OSGi runtime/container in an high value
enterprise environment.

Regarding these topics, I submit the addition of Cellar into Karaf to
your vote:

[ ] +1 Approve the addition of Cellar into Karaf trunk
[ ] -1 Veto the addition (please provide specific comments)

This vote will be open for 72 hours.

I'm available if you need deeper explanations about Cellar.

Thanks,
Regards
JB

Re: [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.
Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> [...]
>> improve Karaf Cellar to provide services for these projects.
>> - I submitted a talk for the next ApacheCon 2011 (Vancouver, 5th-11th
>> November) about Karaf in an enterprise environment. It will include Karaf
>> 3.0.0 new features presentation and of course Karaf Cellar introduction.
>> also plan to make a demo using Karaf, Cellar, and ACE to show how Karaf
>> is a
>> powerful OSGi runtime/container in an high value enterprise environment.
>>
>> Regarding these topics, I submit the addition of Cellar into Karaf to
>> your
>> vote:
>>
>> [ ] +1 Approve the addition of Cellar into Karaf trunk
>> [ ] -1 Veto the addition (please provide specific comments)
>>
>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>
>> I'm available if you need deeper explanations about Cellar.

Guillaume,

If you don't have the cycles to help with Cellar, I will definately be able
to help. I think this will be a great addition to Karaf, and plan to use it
heavily. :-)

-----
Mike Van (aka karafman)
Karaf Team (Contributor)

Re: [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Guys, let's keep this vote clean and we can discuss on the details
afterwards.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
*

Re: [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

+1 for cellar being a subproject.

btw. we might need to take a look on different other "core" features
that might be considered to be a worthy "subproject".
just my 2 cents :-)

regards, Achim

2011/5/4 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>:
> [...]
>>> improve Karaf Cellar to provide services for these projects.
>>> - I submitted a talk for the next ApacheCon 2011 (Vancouver, 5th-11th
>>> November) about Karaf in an enterprise environment. It will include Karaf
>>> 3.0.0 new features presentation and of course Karaf Cellar introduction.
>>> also plan to make a demo using Karaf, Cellar, and ACE to show how Karaf
>>> is a
>>> powerful OSGi runtime/container in an high value enterprise environment.
>>>
>>> Regarding these topics, I submit the addition of Cellar into Karaf to
>>> your
>>> vote:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the addition of Cellar into Karaf trunk
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the addition (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> I'm available if you need deeper explanations about Cellar.

>>> Regards
>>> JB

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
+1 - Non binding.

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.
Andreas Pieber wrote:

> +1
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Achim Nierbeck
> &lt;bcanhome@googlemail.com&gt; wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> Am 03.05.2011 19:47, schrieb Ioannis Canellos:
>>> +1

+1 nonbinding.

-----
Mike Van (aka karafman)
Karaf Team (Contributor)

Re: [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> Am 03.05.2011 19:47, schrieb Ioannis Canellos:
>> +1
>>
>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> following our discussion about Karaf clustering and Cellar, I would like to
>>> launch a vote to add Cellar into Karaf trunk.
>>>
>>> This addition covers the following topics:
>>>
>>> 1/ Source code
>>> Currently, Cellar source code is on github. It will be added into Karaf
>>> trunk, on a cellar maven module.
>>> All package will be named to org.apache.karaf.cellar and all resources
>>> (java, properties, etc) will include Apache header.
>>>
>>> 2/ Provided features
>>> Before inclusion, Ioannis and I would include a new feature which allow you
>>> to choose the node discovery mechanism:
>>> - static list
>>> - unicast
>>> - multicast
>>> - etc
>>> I started to work on it this afternoon, it should be available soon.
>>>
>>> 3/ Documentation resources
>>> The Karaf user and developers manuals will contain Cellar installation and
>>> user guide. First step is to complete the Karaf cluster wiki page, and
>>> refactore the Ioannis' blog content into user and developers manuals.
>>>
>>> Depending of the result of the vote, I will raise the corresponding Jira
>>> and I will work on it.
>>>
>>> I have a couple of Karaf Cellar related topics:
>>> - I launched a discussion on Apache ACE mailing list. As ACE supports cloud
>>> environment (using jclouds), I would like to avoid overlap between ACE and
>>> Karaf. The first ACE team feedbacks are good as we consider ACE as a pure
>>> provisioning platform. I will keep you posted about this discussion. On the
>>> same area (relationship with others Apache projects), I think that we have
>>> to discuss with Camel, ServiceMix, CXF, ActiveMQ, and others about we can
>>> improve Karaf Cellar to provide services for these projects.
>>> - I submitted a talk for the next ApacheCon 2011 (Vancouver, 5th-11th
>>> November) about Karaf in an enterprise environment. It will include Karaf
>>> 3.0.0 new features presentation and of course Karaf Cellar introduction. I
>>> also plan to make a demo using Karaf, Cellar, and ACE to show how Karaf is a
>>> powerful OSGi runtime/container in an high value enterprise environment.
>>>
>>> Regarding these topics, I submit the addition of Cellar into Karaf to your
>>> vote:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the addition of Cellar into Karaf trunk
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the addition (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> I'm available if you need deeper explanations about Cellar.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> Am 03.05.2011 19:47, schrieb Ioannis Canellos:
>> +1
>>
>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> following our discussion about Karaf clustering and Cellar, I would like to
>>> launch a vote to add Cellar into Karaf trunk.
>>>
>>> This addition covers the following topics:
>>>
>>> 1/ Source code
>>> Currently, Cellar source code is on github. It will be added into Karaf
>>> trunk, on a cellar maven module.
>>> All package will be named to org.apache.karaf.cellar and all resources
>>> (java, properties, etc) will include Apache header.
>>>
>>> 2/ Provided features
>>> Before inclusion, Ioannis and I would include a new feature which allow you
>>> to choose the node discovery mechanism:
>>> - static list
>>> - unicast
>>> - multicast
>>> - etc
>>> I started to work on it this afternoon, it should be available soon.
>>>
>>> 3/ Documentation resources
>>> The Karaf user and developers manuals will contain Cellar installation and
>>> user guide. First step is to complete the Karaf cluster wiki page, and
>>> refactore the Ioannis' blog content into user and developers manuals.
>>>
>>> Depending of the result of the vote, I will raise the corresponding Jira
>>> and I will work on it.
>>>
>>> I have a couple of Karaf Cellar related topics:
>>> - I launched a discussion on Apache ACE mailing list. As ACE supports cloud
>>> environment (using jclouds), I would like to avoid overlap between ACE and
>>> Karaf. The first ACE team feedbacks are good as we consider ACE as a pure
>>> provisioning platform. I will keep you posted about this discussion. On the
>>> same area (relationship with others Apache projects), I think that we have
>>> to discuss with Camel, ServiceMix, CXF, ActiveMQ, and others about we can
>>> improve Karaf Cellar to provide services for these projects.
>>> - I submitted a talk for the next ApacheCon 2011 (Vancouver, 5th-11th
>>> November) about Karaf in an enterprise environment. It will include Karaf
>>> 3.0.0 new features presentation and of course Karaf Cellar introduction. I
>>> also plan to make a demo using Karaf, Cellar, and ACE to show how Karaf is a
>>> powerful OSGi runtime/container in an high value enterprise environment.
>>>
>>> Regarding these topics, I submit the addition of Cellar into Karaf to your
>>> vote:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the addition of Cellar into Karaf trunk
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the addition (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> I'm available if you need deeper explanations about Cellar.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
+1 to add cellar as a subproject of karaf. Finally, this is the user and
the client who should decide if they need the clustering feature or not
and so this project should not impact the heart of karaf to keep it
lightweight

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1  (non binding)

btw. I really like the recent enhancements. Great work Ioannis and
Jean-Baptiste.

Christian

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I think that the easiest way is to create a component per sub-project in
Jira.
I just have to check in Jira admin how to manage versions.

Regards
JB

>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/cellar/tags
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/cellar/branches
>>>
>>> @Ioannis: could you:
>>> 1/ Move the source from github to asf svn
>>> 2/ check that all files includes the ASF header

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
FYI, I created the Jira component cellar and webcontainer.

I'm working on Cellar right now (add doc, etc).

Regards
JB

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Awesome!

No problem, we'll get all the RM issues sorted :)

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have committed Cellar as a subproject, so that it can have its own release
> cycle: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/cellar/
> Once we make our first release we can add the Cellar features as part of the
> standard or enterprise features, as discussed. However, we still need to see
> how we are going to implement this, since cellar depends on Karaf.
>
> For now let's create the subproject to Jira. Jean Baptiste can you do it?
> Jamie, could you help me with the release management issues?
>
> --
> *Ioannis Canellos*
> *
>  http://iocanel.blogspot.com

> Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
> *

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk

Posted by jb...@nanthrax.net.
Thanks Ioannis,

I will take care of:
- jira
- documentation
- resources (tutorial, articles, demo)

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I have the admin rights. I just need sometime (for the kids :)), I will
check later tonight.

Regards
JB

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
> [...]

>>> I think that we have to discuss with Camel, ServiceMix, CXF, ActiveMQ,
>>> and others about we can improve Karaf Cellar to provide services for
>>> these projects.
>>> - I submitted a talk for the next ApacheCon 2011 (Vancouver, 5th-11th
>>> November) about Karaf in an enterprise environment. It will include
>>> Karaf 3.0.0 new features presentation and of course Karaf Cellar
>>> introduction. I also plan to make a demo using Karaf, Cellar, and ACE to
>>> show how Karaf is a powerful OSGi runtime/container in an high value
>>> enterprise environment.
>>>
>>> Regarding these topics, I submit the addition of Cellar into Karaf to
>>> your vote:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the addition of Cellar into Karaf trunk
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the addition (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> I'm available if you need deeper explanations about Cellar.

>>> Regards

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Great :-)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.