Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by joe_sad <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/07 15:11:01 UTC

Logging into TOMCAT Manager

Hi,

I am new to using TomCat.

I have used an apache server like WAMP before for a PHP project. I think
that TomCat should be fairly simmilar.

All I am trying to do is to login to the manager section so that I can start
to use an application called x-planner plus.

I have configured the tomcat-users.xml file so that I have a manager
username and password like so..

You are not authorized to view this page. If you have not changed any
configuration files, please examine the file conf/tomcat-users.xml in your
installation. That file will contain the credentials to let you use this
webapp.

<role rolename="manager"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="s3cret" roles="manager"/>

When I try and login to manager using these credentials it will not allow me
and i get the below error.

401 Unauthorized
You are not authorized to view this page. If you have not changed any
configuration files, please examine the file conf/tomcat-users.xml in your
installation. That file will contain the credentials to let you use this
webapp.

You will need to add manager role to the config file listed above. For
example:

<role rolename="manager"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="s3cret" roles="manager"/>

For more information - please see the Manager App HOW-TO.

Does anybody please have any advise.

Thanks in advance.

RE: Logging into TOMCAT Manager

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: joe_sad [mailto:joesaddigh@gmail.com]
> Subject: RE: Logging into TOMCAT Manager
>
> It did not ask me for a username or password though is this normal?

Your browser may have remembered it for you.

> I have placed my xplanner-plus dir with files in the below path.
> C:\Program Files\apache-tomcat-6.0.20\apache-tomcat-6.0.20\webapps\

The above looks very strange, since apache-tomcat-6.0.20 is duplicated...

How did you install Tomcat?  If from the Windows .exe, the above path is incorrect.

> When I try and select it i get this message
> HTTP Status 404 -

Start a new thread for a new topic.

 - Chuck

RE: Logging into TOMCAT Manager

Posted by joe_sad <jo...@gmail.com>.
I didn't restart the server so this now lets me in.

It did not ask me for a username or password though is this normal?

Now that I am in...

I have placed my xplanner-plus dir with files in the below path.

C:\Program Files\apache-tomcat-6.0.20\apache-tomcat-6.0.20\webapps\

When I try and select it i get this message

HTTP Status 404 -

type Status report

message

description The requested resource () is not available.

Apache Tomcat/6.0.20

Do you have any idea why it can't find the files inside?

what is it looking for I have an index.jsp file should it not find this by
default.

Apologies I am very new to this

Thanks

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.