Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard <hl...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/15 11:31:39 UTC

[Tapestry Central] Detailed analysis of Tapestry 5

Sebastian Hennebrueder has just finished a detailed analysis of
Tapestry 5. He comes at it from a few odd angles (for instance, he
likes PicoContainer and shows how to integrate it). After a few
misteps, he reaches these conclusions:
Once I overcame the first hurdles, I became more and more impressed.
Building CRUD (create, read, update, delete) dialogs is incredible
fast. The form component renders a form for a model, adding labels,
input fields and validations. All this information is extracted from
the model and its annotation and you don't have to write a single line
of code. Here is the code for a complete form.
<t:beaneditform object="person"/>
You have control over the generated form and the possibility to change
whatever you need either application wide or just in a single form. As
a consequence, you get even less code than in a Ruby on Rails
application. The learning curve is of course steeper than the one of
the Stripes framework, but this is naturally. Stripes is a thin layer
above the underlying technologies. Tapestry abstracts from the
underlying technology in order to provide a lot of powerful
functionality.
After having explored the functionality of the framework, writing my
own components, writing mixins to extend existing components, I came to
the conclusion that Tapestry is one of the most innovative frameworks
and probably even the best candidate for enterprise applications.
To be honest, I think he makes the initial steps slighlty more
complicated than they need to be and he properly criticizes the current
state of the documentation. But he reaches the above conclusions, then
goes into more detail, and finally outlines some performance data.

--
Posted By Howard to Tapestry Central at 8/15/2009 02:26:00 AM