Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2006/04/01 22:08:21 UTC

Re: quick comments on XMLMind

"Will Glass-Husain" <wg...@forio.com> writes:

>One quick note.  It confused me that the attachment was labeled
>"XMLMind_XDOC" not "XMLMind_XDOC.tar.gz".  Had to re-read the
>directions, realize it needed to be renamed.  Actually, a zip file
>might be more intuitive, but perhaps that's just me.

Yeah, I was in a bit of a hurry to get this stuff up. I was getting
ready to fetch my new car from the dealer... ;-)

I've cleaned this up a bit more today. It should be easier to use now.

>Also, since the files are provided, why did I have to hand-edit them?

Because they were buggy. This should be better now.

>I'll have to play with it, see if this helps editing docs.  My quick
>take is that it's harder to read than well-formatted text, primarily
>because <A> and <B> type tags break up the flow.  But it does look
>easier to validate.

I like the fact that I can now see (roughly) what the resulting page
will look like. This is IMHO a big win over the "xml forest in an
editor window".

Major drawback is that XMLMind nukes some of the formatting. The docs
will be harder to edit by hand. But then again, XMLMind is free and
runs on all platforms.

	Best regards
		Henning

Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia