Posted to users@maven.apache.org by ahardy42 <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2018/02/05 18:41:21 UTC

maven jobs, groovy, git and jenkins pipelines

Hi All,

I started working with a Jenkins pipeline and I am still building my mental
picture of how maven, git, groovy and Jenkins really work together - fyi I'm
using OpenShift / Kubernetes as the deployment platform.

Am I correct in thinking that actually maven could achieve 95% of the build
and deployment configuration and that Jenkins with its plugins is actually
secondary, and in a 'pure' maven configuration could be any build platform
like TeamCity, Bamboo etc?

I can't see any great advantage to using Jenkins pipelines except to
prettify the visuals on the build server.

Have I missed something or is there a Jenkins killer plugin that does stuff
which maven can't?

Regards
Adam

--
Sent from: http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Maven-Users-f40176.html

Re: maven jobs, groovy, git and jenkins pipelines

Posted by Adam Sandor <ad...@container-solutions.com>.
I think it’s a good idea to encapsulate most of your build in a Maven build
instead of using Jenkins plugins. Maven pom artifacts are versioned and can
be run in any environment. Jenkins pipelines however give visibility into a
long-runnning process, and allow manual checkpoints so they have their
value. Maven pom files are also cumbersome when you do something not
covered by a plugin - usually deployments to target environments.

For a deployment pipeline you might build each step in Maven but execute
different Maven commands in a Jenkins pipeline. If some step is not
suitable to do in Maven switch to bash scripting or something else and run
that from the Jenkins pipeline step.

Hope this helps somewhat :)

Adam Sandor

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 7:41 PM ahardy42 <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I started working with a Jenkins pipeline and I am still building my mental
> picture of how maven, git, groovy and Jenkins really work together - fyi
> I'm
> using OpenShift / Kubernetes as the deployment platform.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that actually maven could achieve 95% of the build
> and deployment configuration and that Jenkins with its plugins is actually
> secondary, and in a 'pure' maven configuration could be any build platform
> like TeamCity, Bamboo etc?
>
> I can't see any great advantage to using Jenkins pipelines except to
> prettify the visuals on the build server.
>
> Have I missed something or is there a Jenkins killer plugin that does stuff
> which maven can't?
>
> Regards
> Adam
>

> --