Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by EE...@thoughtworks.COM on 2000/12/20 02:28:05 UTC

[C2] Sitemap scope

Hi all,

I just read xdocs/sitemap.xml and was surprised to see nothing about
navigation between pages.  Have I misunderstood the scope or purpose of the
sitemap?

I was under the impression that a "sitemap" is more than a collection of
vertical descriptions of pages (e.g., Cocoon pipelines); it is a
centralized representation of the links defined in a distributed fashion
throughout the pages of the site (or web app).  In other words, it defines
the possible navigations from some pages to others, or, in other words, it
is a definition of the state machine that represents and controls a user's
position in the site.

Is any such functionality planned for the sitemap?  This is a complicated
problem, and something with which I was hoping Cocoon2 was going to help
me. :-)

Thanks
Eric

Re: [C2] Sitemap scope

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@pati.ch>.
EEAltendorf@thoughtworks.COM wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just read xdocs/sitemap.xml and was surprised to see nothing about
> navigation between pages.  Have I misunderstood the scope or purpose of the
> sitemap?
> I was under the impression that a "sitemap" is more than a collection of
> vertical descriptions of pages (e.g., Cocoon pipelines); it is a
> centralized representation of the links defined in a distributed fashion
> throughout the pages of the site (or web app).  In other words, it defines
> the possible navigations from some pages to others, or, in other words, it
> is a definition of the state machine that represents and controls a user's
> position in the site.

No, Cocoon2's sitemap is not a colletction of link representing the
structure of your site in the traditional sense.

> Is any such functionality planned for the sitemap?  This is a complicated
> problem, and something with which I was hoping Cocoon2 was going to help
> me. :-)

Maybe in Cocoon 3 or 4 but more in a sense of a semantic search engine
that a "sitemap" generator.

Giacomo

Re: [C2] Sitemap scope

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 19:28 -0600 19/12/00, EEAltendorf@thoughtworks.COM wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I just read xdocs/sitemap.xml and was surprised to see nothing about
>navigation between pages.  Have I misunderstood the scope or purpose of the
>sitemap?
>
>I was under the impression that a "sitemap" is more than a collection of
>vertical descriptions of pages (e.g., Cocoon pipelines); it is a
>centralized representation of the links defined in a distributed fashion
>throughout the pages of the site (or web app).  In other words, it defines
>the possible navigations from some pages to others, or, in other words, it
>is a definition of the state machine that represents and controls a user's
>position in the site.
>
>Is any such functionality planned for the sitemap?  This is a complicated
>problem, and something with which I was hoping Cocoon2 was going to help
>me. :-)

Please see the discussion on XLink and LinkBases that has been going on
over the last couple of days. I think something like this is what you need.

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>