Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by lightbulb432 <ve...@hotmail.com> on 2007/05/11 06:22:47 UTC

Context Descriptors

The following regarding Context Descriptors is in the documentation for
Tomcat 6. I'm wondering why the included contexts such as /examples, /docs,
/host-manager, and ROOT (/) don't have Context Descriptors generated as
described below.

The locations for Context Descriptors are;

$CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/context.xml
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/[webappname]/META-INF/context.xml

If a Context Descriptor is not provided for a Context, Tomcat automatically
creates one and places it in (1) with a filename of [webappname].xml
although if manually created, the filename need not match the web
application name as Tomcat is concerned only with the Context configuration
contained within the Context Descriptor file(s).

The only one that I see one for is /manager, which leads to my next
question. Why, under /manager, do I see the following in
/manager/manager.xml:

<Context docBase="${catalina.home}/server/webapps/manager"
         privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false"
antiJARLocking="false">

  <!-- Link to the user database we will get roles from -->
  <ResourceLink name="users" global="UserDatabase"
                type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"/>

</Context>

And the following in /manager/META-INF/context.xml? Why the presence of two
context descriptors?

<Context antiResourceLocking="false" privileged="true" />

And finally, why do I see the docBase as
"${catalina.home}/server/webapps/manager" in the previous manager.xml, when
the default Tomcat 6 installation doesn't even have a server directory? What
confuses me is how it still works even when that directory isn't there or
created.

RE: [NOT SOLVED]Tomcat native library Not found in Solaris 9

Posted by Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com>.
Thanks for your reply!  I will try the steps suggested below.

Lakshmi

Posted by Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com>.

Hi Rainer,
Thanks for your suggestion!  Using the specs file as suggested below did
not work.
Also, gcc -dumpspecs > /path/myspecs and then changing the *libgcc rule
did not
work either.
What finally worked was
export CC="gcc -static-libgcc"
But then I had to recompile OpenSSL, APR and then Tomcat native in that
order with the
above value for CC to completely remove the dependency on libgcc_s.so.

So now I have libssl.so, libcrypto.so, libapr-1.so and libtcnative-1.so
without the dependency on libgcc_s.so.

Thanks
Lakshmi

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

RE: Context Descriptors

Posted by Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com>.
In the one month that I have been in this forum, people ask this
question in
 so many different words under so many different subject headings.
My own question, the newbie that I am  started out with  similar
questions.
Documentation is NOT CLEAR. I hope somebody who has the authority to
change the documentation does so.

Another suggestion, Chuck, since you are always responding to any
context related qeustion, if
you find some time, may be you should mail an FAQ post on this forum on
the topic of "contexts
and deployments" with example directory layouts.

Thanks
Lakshmi

> The following regarding Context Descriptors is in the documentation
> for Tomcat 6. I'm wondering why the included contexts such as
> /examples, /docs, /host-manager, and ROOT (/) don't have Context
> Descriptors generated as described below.

Because those apps are simple enough not to need one.

> If a Context Descriptor is not provided for a Context, Tomcat
> automatically creates one and places it in (1) with a filename of
> [webappname].xml

The above statement is not true; the doc needs updating.  Tomcat creates
the internal data structures for the webapp's <Context>, but does not
store it in any persistent location.

> although if manually created, the filename need not match the web
> application name

That statement is also not true - the filename must match, unless the
<Context> element is in server.xml, in which case there is no filename.

[Mark - the above somewhat out-of-date statements are in:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/deployer-howto.html#A%20word%20o
n%20Contexts]

> Why, under /manager, do I see the following in
> /manager/manager.xml:

As far as I can tell, that's left-over junk from previous levels; that
.xml file used to end up in conf/Catalina/localhost.  Regardless, the
location cited above isn't used during deployment or running of the app.

> And the following in /manager/META-INF/context.xml? Why the presence
> of two context descriptors?

That's the real one; the first is no longer used.

> And finally, why do I see the docBase as
> "${catalina.home}/server/webapps/manager" in the previous manager.xml,

> when the default Tomcat 6 installation doesn't even have a server
> directory?

Again, left-over artifacts from previous Tomcat levels.

> What confuses me is how it still works even when that directory isn't
> there or created.

Because that .xml file is completely ignored.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Context Descriptors

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> [Mark - the above somewhat out-of-date statements are in:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/deployer-howto.html#A%20word%20o
> n%20Contexts]

Thanks. Fixed.

Mark