Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2004/03/23 21:10:33 UTC

outdate (was Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_alias.xml.ja mod_autoindex.xml.ja)

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 nd@apache.org wrote:
>   +<!-- English Revision: 1.12 (outdated: 1.13) -->

Not that I'm volunteering to do the work, but...

Wouldn't this be better using real xml fields, which we could then
transform in the docs so that readers of translations would know if they
were reading the most recent version?

Joshua.

Re: outdate

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:
> I think it would be nicer if the revision numbers are in it,
> like: Original revision: 1.3  Translated revision: 1.1
> Many people probably have no clue what revision number means
> but it will give you a rough idea of how out of date the
> translation is.

I tend to disagree.  Revision numbers are very difficult to interpret
(especially with branches) and provide virtually no information to docs
readers.  Yes, they could be slightly useful for developers.

Joshua.

Re: outdate

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
Yoshiki wrote:

> André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> writes:

>>> Wouldn't this be better using real xml fields, which we could then
>>> transform in the docs so that readers of translations would know if they
>>> were reading the most recent version?
>>
>> Well, BTDT.
>> Here's a suggestion:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/~nd/manual/ru/new_features_2_0.html
>>
>> The message needs to be translated, of course.
>> Opinions?

> I think it would be nicer if the revision numbers are in it,
> like: Original revision: 1.3  Translated revision: 1.1
> Many people probably have no clue what revision number means
> but it will give you a rough idea of how out of date the
> translation is.

I don't think so. As Joshua said, revision numbers are for developers
only. Users might misinterpret them with release numbers. And if I
understand the discussion right, the revision numbers are stored in the
xml file. This well for developers.

Kess

Re: outdate

Posted by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org>.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi

Re: outdate

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:
> Here's a suggestion:
>
> http://www.apache.org/~nd/manual/ru/new_features_2_0.html

Looks great.

I'd probably have a slight preference for something a little more curt,
such as
"This translation may be out of date.  Check the English version for
recent changes."
or something along those lines.

Joshua.

Re: outdate

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 nd@apache.org wrote:
> >   +<!-- English Revision: 1.12 (outdated: 1.13) -->
>
> Not that I'm volunteering to do the work, but...
>
> Wouldn't this be better using real xml fields, which we could then
> transform in the docs so that readers of translations would know if they
> were reading the most recent version?

Well, BTDT.
Here's a suggestion:

http://www.apache.org/~nd/manual/ru/new_features_2_0.html

The message needs to be translated, of course.
Opinions?

nd

Re: outdate (was Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_alias.xml.ja mod_autoindex.xml.ja)

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> After I've slept over it, I think we can lower the hurdle a bit, if we make
> use of CVS keyword expansion for the English files ($Revision$) (and later
> $LastChangedRevision$ of svn).
> That would remove the dependency of cvs, but would add these numbers to the
> files. How does this sound?

Good  :)
Some time ago, I suggested just this: let CVS do some of our
work. I do not remember very well about the discussion but I remember
that it has been declined because we do not want such a dependency.
I didn't understand it really. So I'm +1 ;)

 Kess

Re: outdate (was Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_alias.xml.ja mod_autoindex.xml.ja)

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 nd@apache.org wrote:
> >   +<!-- English Revision: 1.12 (outdated: 1.13) -->
>
> Not that I'm volunteering to do the work, but...

;-)