Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc> on 2003/01/02 11:36:50 UTC

Jetty Use

I downloaded the latest Jetty and set JETTY_HOME, then I unjarred the war
from the latest cvs code into $JETTY_HOME/webapps/Xindice/

Jetty started fine but when I attempted to talk to it with xmlrpc I got
this:

'Response Headers Invalid', details="Unexpected value of 'text/html' for
Content-Type."

Any ideas? I am trying jetty to see if it helps with my regular xindice
crashes (OutOfMemory errors)

Regards,
Lachlan Donald

one error of doc of Developer's guide

Posted by Jerry Tan <je...@sun.com>.
in the document of Developer guide ,there is a  minor error.
such as
"
http://xml.apache.org/xindice/guide-developer.html#N100BB

If you don't see 'addressbook' listed in the result then you need to
create the collection. To create it just run:

xindice ac -c /db -n addressbook "

"xindice ac -c /db -n addressbook"

should be xindiadmin ac -c /db -n addressbook

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.
I have tried switching to jdk 1.4.1_01 as well as the latest tomcat and the
problem still occurs. I came into work this morning and there was a huge
amount of java processes running, about 25-30 (13 of them zombies) and they
were basically grinding the system to a halt. I killed all of them and
restarted tomcat but Xindice/Tomcat just died again then with an
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError exception.

I am only running Tomcat and the latest Xindice on basically a bare system
(Debian).

I have yet to try the JRockIt VM and jetty, I suppose they are my only
options left to try now.

Regards,
Lachlan Donald

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
tom dyson wrote:
> Hi Gianugo
>
> Do you know if the JRockit VM will run on standard Red Hat Linux? Last time
> I looked it was only available for their 'Advanced Server' product.

I understand that only the AS version is supported, but I don't see, in
principle, any reason (except crippleware) for JRockit not to work on
other Linux distros.

I'll give it a try.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by tom dyson <to...@torchbox.com>.
Hi Gianugo

Do you know if the JRockit VM will run on standard Red Hat Linux? Last time
I looked it was only available for their 'Advanced Server' product.

Tom

> While you're at it, you might want to give a spin to the JRockit VM.
> It's a bit less free than Sun's (no source code available and no
> redistribution is possible) but OTOH it's pretty fast and stable, it is
> 1.4 compatible and, even more valuable :-), has a management interface
> from which you can see memory and thread usage patterns. I had
> impressive results in using it some time ago.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> Gianugo

-----------------+
tom dyson
t: +44 (0)1608 811870
m: +44 (0)7958 752657
http://torchbox.com

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.

> Is this Tomcat running Xindice only? What OS?
>
> I'd try to switch to Java 1.4.1 to see if it helps (as well as try Jetty
> or Resin). Other than that, we can try and run some profiling tools to
> see if there still are memory leaks, but I wouldn't think so ATM.

Tomcat is only running Xindice. The operating system is Debian 3.0 (stable)
with a 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel. The only other thing that runs on this box is
sshd and apache. It has 512Mb physical memory.

Thanks for the quick response. I will upgrade java now.

- Lachlan

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.
> Can you elaborate more on this? I haven't seen these errors since Corba
> went away...

Basically Tomcat and Xindice crash periodically (depending on load). I can't
reproduce the situation artificially, but on a roughly weekly basis Tomcat
dies with this error:

SEVERE: Endpoint ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8080]
shutdown due to exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

This happens on two seperate servers, one of them a development server and
one of them a semi-production server. The busier server crashes more often
obviously.

I'm not sure where the problem is, I tried increasing the amount of memory
given to tomcat but that hasn't helped. I am not sure if its a Tomcat
problem (4.1.18-LE-jdk14) or a java issue (1.4.0_01) or a Xindice issue
(latest cvs) but its annoying :)

I posted a while back about this problem but it seems no one else is having
this problem.. Any ideas?

Regards,
Lachlan Donald

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.
Unfortunately that wasn't the problem. I have the latest cvs and I checked
that line of code and it was already

private static String XINDICE_SERVICE_LOCATION = "/Xindice/";

I did an "ant clean war-release" and restarted jetty and it still gives the
302 errors.

Regards,
Lachlan

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Lachlan Donald wrote:
>>are you sure that under tools/jetty/lib you have org.apache.jasper.jar?
>>Looks like it's not the case.
>>

> Oops :) Copied them all from Forrester as you suggested.
>
> It now starts with no errors, but when I try and connect to it with XMLRPC I
> get this:
> HTTP/1.0 302 Moved+Temporarily

you don't have the latest CVS. Check out line 103 of

java/src/org/apache/xindice/client/xmldb/xmlrpc/CollectionImpl.java

It should read:

   private static String XINDICE_SERVICE_LOCATION = "/Xindice/";

you probably have

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.

Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:21:53 GMT
Server: Jetty/4.2.3 (Linux 2.4.18-bf2.4 i386)
Connection: close
Location: http://cms.motile.net:8080/Xindice/

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Error 302 Moved Temporarily</TITLE>
<BODY>
<H2>HTTP ERROR: 302 Moved Temporarily</H2>
RequestURI=/Xindice

Any ideas?

Regards,
Lachlan

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Lachlan Donald wrote:

>>Please see here if it helps:
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xindice-dev&m=104097791605167&w=2
>>

> I followed the steps suggested. When the run target executes I get this
> output:
>
> run:
[...]

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.
> > I downloaded the latest Jetty and set JETTY_HOME, then I unjarred the
war
> > from the latest cvs code into $JETTY_HOME/webapps/Xindice/
> >
> > Jetty started fine but when I attempted to talk to it with xmlrpc I got
> > this:
> >
> > 'Response Headers Invalid', details="Unexpected value of 'text/html' for
> > Content-Type."
>
> Please see here if it helps:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xindice-dev&m=104097791605167&w=2

I followed the steps suggested. When the run target executes I get this
output:

run:
     [java] 16:54:15.214 EVENT  Starting Jetty/4.2.3
     [java] 16:54:15.779 WARN!! File Classpath
"/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16567.jar:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib
/Jetty-16568.jar:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16569.jar:/tmp/Jetty__8
080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16570.jar:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16571.j
ar:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16572.jar:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/l
ib/Jetty-16573.jar" incomplete from URL path
"jar:file:/var/xml-xindice-cvs/dist/xindice-1.1b.war!/WEB-INF/classes/,file:
/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16567.jar,file:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice
/lib/Jetty-16568.jar,file:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16569.jar,file
:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16570.jar,file:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindic
e/lib/Jetty-16571.jar,file:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16572.jar,fil
e:/tmp/Jetty__8080__Xindice/lib/Jetty-16573.jar"
     [java] 16:54:15.788 EVENT  Started
WebApplicationContext[/Xindice,Apache Xindice]
     [java] 16:54:15.828 EVENT  default: init
     [java] 16:54:15.836 EVENT  invoker: init
     [java] Jan 6, 2003 4:54:17 PM org.apache.xindice.core.Database
setConfig
     [java] INFO: Database points to /var/xml-xindice-cvs/dist/../db/./db
     [java] Jan 6, 2003 4:54:17 PM org.apache.xindice.server.XindiceServlet
init
     [java] INFO: Database successfully started
     [java] 16:54:17.638 EVENT  Started SocketListener on 0.0.0.0:8080
     [java] 16:54:17.650 WARN!!
     [java]
org.mortbay.util.MultiException[java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet]
     [java]     at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:645)
     [java]     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.main(Server.java:403)
     [java] [0]=java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet

.. snip ..

Any ideas what the problem is? The command line tool appears to still work,
but I can't access it via XMLRPC.

Regards,
Lachlan Donald

Re: Jetty Use

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Lachlan Donald wrote:
> I downloaded the latest Jetty and set JETTY_HOME, then I unjarred the war
> from the latest cvs code into $JETTY_HOME/webapps/Xindice/
>
> Jetty started fine but when I attempted to talk to it with xmlrpc I got
> this:
>
> 'Response Headers Invalid', details="Unexpected value of 'text/html' for
> Content-Type."

Please see here if it helps:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xindice-dev&m=104097791605167&w=2

> Any ideas? I am trying jetty to see if it helps with my regular xindice
> crashes (OutOfMemory errors)

Can you elaborate more on this? I haven't seen these errors since Corba
went away...

TIA;

--
Gianugo Rabellino