Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Albert Strasheim <fu...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/25 00:18:43 UTC

org.apache.hadoop.fs.DF vs Windows

Hello all

I'm trying to get Hadoop going on my Windows machine without Cygwin. So far,
I've sorted out the Java Service Wrapper configurations to run the services
necessary for DFS to work:

The next problem seems to be that DataNode is trying to run the df command,
which is rather system specific.

Java 6 added some new methods to handle this issue, but I'm assuming Hadoop
wants to stay compatible with older versions of the JDK. In that case, could
FileSystemUtils from Commons IO be used instead of the df hack?

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-release/index.html?org/apache/commons/io/FileSystemUtils.html

If this looks like a viable solution, I could try to prepare a patch.

Cheers,

Albert

RE: org.apache.hadoop.fs.DF vs Windows

Posted by Andrew Newman <an...@itee.uq.edu.au>.
We did a similar thing recently (setting up JSW for Windows).  We had:
wrapper.java.library.path.1=bin

Where the bin directory (it contains the JSW libraries like
wrapper-windows-x86-32.dll and Cygwin files for df) is under the root (which
contains the configuration and JSW executables).

The files required by df are:
- df.exe
- cygiconv-2.dll
- cygintl-8.dll