Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Mark Lybarger <ml...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/15 14:59:42 UTC

jmeter thread limits

i'm looking to test a system that should handle a load of 100,000 clients
... eventually. right now, the clients are in fact time shifted and really
the system supports 100 or so concurrent clients.  that said, i'm looking
to do some load / performance testing, so i naturally look to jmeter.

i've read several articles or blogs suggesting a limit of 300 threads for
jmeter testing. i'm going to need many many more. perhaps 3,000 would be a
good starting number. so, finally, my question is this. is the thread limit
based on system resources?  would using a distributed jmeter allow me to
get up to 3,000 threads?

what types of loads have jmeter users typically been able to put on their
systems?

my system under test is a back office system, but it provides an http
interface to the end client.

thanks!
-mark-

Re: jmeter thread limits

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
I keep single instances to under 1k threads otherwise things start to go
wrong.

In fairness, this is without any real JVM parameter tweaking.

When I need more than that I go distributed, although at times that just
means "please start your jmeter now, Bob" etc.

Dave

--
e: davelnewton@gmail.com
m: 908-380-8699

Re: jmeter thread limits

Posted by Shmuel Krakower <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,
I've posted a blog post on that topic here:
http://shmuels.blogspot.com/2014/12/how-to-create-realistic-load-test.html
I hope it will get you on the right track and not trying to actually run
100,000 clients/threads.

Shmuel Krakower.
www.Beatsoo.org - re-use your jmeter scripts for application performance

RE: jmeter thread limits

Posted by "Herbener, Martin - Division of Engineering and Management" <ma...@education.ky.gov>.

Re: jmeter thread limits

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:10 AM, UBIK LOAD PACK Support <
support@ubikloadpack.com> wrote:

> 3500 threads
> with 1 JVM on a real life ecommerce website with 8 vCPU + 6 Go Xmx and
> there are reports of tests with more than 10K threads on a AWS m1.xlarge
> with a 64 bit processor, 4 virtual CPUs and 15 GB RAM

I should have clarified and said "I keep to < 1k threads on non-beastly
machines like my desktop."

Dave

Re: jmeter thread limits

Posted by UBIK LOAD PACK Support <su...@ubikloadpack.com>.
Hi,
The limit really depends on your system and your test plan.
If you follow JMeter Best-practices :

   - http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/best-practices.html
   - http://www.ubik-ingenierie.com/blog/jmeter_performance_tuning_tips/

you can easily go to much more threads .

For example we currently load without any problem more than 3500 threads
with 1 JVM on a real life ecommerce website with 8 vCPU + 6 Go Xmx and
there are reports of tests with more than 10K threads on a AWS m1.xlarge
with a 64 bit processor, 4 virtual CPUs and 15 GB RAM.

You can also use distributed testing if you want to go up.

Finally if not enough there are a lot of Cloud offers (free and commercial)
based on JMeter

Regards

@ubikloadpack

--