Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com> on 2006/11/02 18:21:23 UTC

smtp mail container?

Hi everybody -

Is it possible to write an SMTP mail container, which can turn ofbiz
into an smtp proxy and allow users to write emails in outlook/
thunderbird/whatever, but route the emails through ofbiz so they can
be stored as communication events, categorized against various
parties and events, and then forwarded on?

Best Regards,

Si
sichen@opensourcestrategies.com

Re: smtp mail container?

Posted by "Matthew E. Porter" <ma...@metissian.com>.
Si:
   Not sure if it's what you want, but JBoss has a full SMTP system.
You could potential embed this or use their hooks.

Cheers,
   Matthew

---
Matthew E. Porter
Contegix/Metissian
E-mail: matthew.porter@metissian.com

Re: smtp mail container?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I am not running James in Ofbiz I use the mail container to pull emails
from James, by Account.

There is one other way, that I have not done, is to write a Mailet in
james that sends all emails to ofbiz after doing the processing to
reject emails but before sending the emails to James mail store.  This
means you can have a simple SMTP server in ofbiz. The EMail processor
currently finds the matching emails.

Also if there is a lot of emails it would bog down Ofbiz if it had to do
all the processing that james does.

However for mail clients to connect to ofbiz it needs to have a POP3
server container and POP3 service that looks up accounts via
findemailaccounts service.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/2/2006 12:09 PM:

Re: smtp mail container?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>

Re: smtp mail container?

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Re: smtp mail container?

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.
On Monday 13 November 2006 18:27, Si Chen wrote:
> Thanks!  This is a actually a great idea.  Postfix has an always bcc
> feature as well: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_bcc  I
> just tried it in concept and it works, so that'll save a lot of time
> vs. writing an smtp container or trying to integrate james.  Of
> course, to use it in real life, the ofbiz email services would still
> need to be debugged, but now it's a much better starting point.

Yep, sounds like a walk in the park.
It ain't pretty but should work pretty well.

~VIVA JAVA LIBRE!

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com