Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Anderson <sa...@ns1.bonddesk.com> on 2001/12/18 19:00:09 UTC

Is it possible to turn off mod_proxy buffering completely?

Hi all,

I have a long running backend process (servlet container - Orion Server)
that sends bits of data back to the browser periodically. In order to
use this with Apache, we need to send requests via mod_proxy to the
servlet engine.  We're using Apache 1.3.19, which comes with Oracle's
iAS.

mod_proxy, however, is buffering all of the data, resulting in long
pauses while the buffer is built up, then multiple updates being sent at
once.

ProxyReceiveBufferSize does not permit buffers smaller than 512 bytes,
which is much too large for our purposes.

I've looked in the FAQ, the docs, the email archives, and searched
Google and the newsgroups. The only promising leads I found were:

a) setting Pragma: no-cache in the HTTP headers. This does not seem to
work, and looking at the mod_proxy code in 1.3.19, I don't see that this
pragma affects anything other than caching.

b) There were a few patches to mod_proxy... we're running the
Oracle-supplied version of Apache, and would rather not get into a
support problem by replacing system components. :-P

c) A few other requests for the same functionality, but no replies. :-(

Am I looking in the wrong places, and is there a simple way to do this?
A mod_proxy solution would be ideal, but I'm not opposed to other proxy
modules as long as they can run in Apache like mod_proxy. I found an
alpha-stage proxy at sourceforge based on mod_perl, but that's a bit raw
for a production requirement.

Any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
-scott

Re: Is it possible to turn off mod_proxy buffering completely?

Posted by Scott Anderson <sa...@mailhost.bonddesk.com>.
Unfortunately, we cannot use 2.0. As I said, we're using the Apache that came
with Oracle's iAS, and as such we can't rip-and-replace it.

Thanks for the information, though.

Regards,

-scott

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 December 2001 12:16 pm, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> The proxy has been pulled back into the main httpd-2.0 tree, so the
> code referenced below is a few months old.  There is currently no
> caching in the 2.0 proxy, so there shouldn't be any buffering either.

Actually, the 2.0 proxy code has been removed from the location I quoted.
But there is an updated (HTTP/1.1) 1.3 proxy, which I thought might be of
interest to the original poster.

Joshua.

Re: Is it possible to turn off mod_proxy buffering completely?

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.