Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Igor Chudov <ic...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/29 20:11:46 UTC

How can I disable fsync()?

Thanks to all and I made Solr work very well on one newer machine.

Now I am setting up Solr on an older server with an IDE hard drive.

Unfortunately, populating the index takes FOREVER due to
Solr/Lucene/Tomcat calling fsync() a lot after every write.

I would like to know how to disable fsync.

I am very aware of the risks of not having fsync() and I DO NOT CARE
ABOUT THEM AND DO NOT WANT TO BE REMINDED.

I just want to know how can I disable fsync() when adding to Solr index.

Thanks, guys!

Igor

Re: How can I disable fsync()?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Oct 29, 2010, at 2:11 PM, Igor Chudov wrote:

> Thanks to all and I made Solr work very well on one newer machine.
>
> Now I am setting up Solr on an older server with an IDE hard drive.
>
> Unfortunately, populating the index takes FOREVER due to
> Solr/Lucene/Tomcat calling fsync() a lot after every write.
>
> I would like to know how to disable fsync.
>
> I am very aware of the risks of not having fsync() and I DO NOT CARE
> ABOUT THEM AND DO NOT WANT TO BE REMINDED.
>
> I just want to know how can I disable fsync() when adding to Solr index.

Have a look at FSDirectory.fsync().  That's at least a starting point. YMMV.