Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/12/07 19:32:07 UTC

1.2 Beta Tasks

We only have a few remaining optional and required tasks before we
can cut the 1.2 beta :D

TASK: Review YOUR JIRAs
-----------------------
We have 60 JIRAs assigned to 1.2.  Please review the issues assigned
to you, and if you do not plan on fixing them in the next say 7 days
move out of 1.2.  Those with JIRAs remaining [1] at the end of the
release will be shamed :)

Other Tasks
-----------
Normally legal is the biggest problem, and Kevan has done a wonderful
in this area.  FWIU, the only remaining legal issue is the presence
Sun schemas and dtds in the servlet and jsp spec jars, and Kevan is
working to find out if they are a real problem.  Any thing else I
missed Kevan?

We have a few remaining SNAPSHOTS dependencies in the tree [2].
OpenEJB and Yoko are still being worked on for this release so a
SNAPSHOT dependency is fine.  ActiveIO and OpenJPA have released
versions for the code we are using and I will work to replace this
today.  Matt promised me a release of TranQL for this release, and I
am hoping to get this today.

We have an exception being thrown in shutdown from
GBeanBinding.removeBinding():159 and I'll fix that today.

Thanks for all the help.  Hopefully we can get the beta shipped next
week!

-dain

[1] Currently assigned JIRA for 1.2
   Aaron Mulder 3
   Alan Cabrera 1
   Bill Dudney 1
   Christopher M. Cardona 1
   David Jencks 20
   Donald Woods 1
   Gianny Damour 1
   Kevan Miller 6
   Matt Hogstrom 2
   Prasad Kashyap 1
   Rakesh Midha 1
   Rick McGuire 1
   Unassigned 21

[2] Current SNAPSHOT dependencies:
   activeio-core-3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

   geronimo-schema-j2ee_1.4-1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
   geronimo-schema-jee_5-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
   geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.2-SNAPSHOT.jar
   geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

   openejb-axis-2.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
   openejb-builder-2.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
   openejb-corba-2.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
   openejb-corba-builder-2.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
   openejb-core-2.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
   openejb-pkgen-builder-2.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
   openejb-yoko-2.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar

   openjpa-all-0.9.6-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar

   tranql-1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar
   tranql-connector-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
   tranql-connector-derby-common-1.2-SNAPSHOT.jar
   tranql-connector-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
   tranql-connector-derby-common-1.2-SNAPSHOT.jar

   yoko-core-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT.jar
   yoko-rmi-impl-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT.jar
   yoko-rmi-spec-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT.jar
   yoko-spec-corba-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT.jar
   yoko-spec-corba-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT.jar

Re: 1.2 Beta Tasks

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Dec 7, 2006, at 10:32 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> We have an exception being thrown in shutdown from
> GBeanBinding.removeBinding():159 and I'll fix that today.

Looks like someone already fixed that :)

-dain

Re: 1.2 Beta Tasks

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.
No, I was using the last published unstable build from 12/7 for my
initial pass.

I just updated those 2 to match what's in pom.xml.

-Donald

Re: 1.2 Beta Tasks

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: 1.2 Beta Tasks

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: 1.2 Beta Tasks

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Dec 8, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Question on the snapshots...what's the normal procedure for that in
> terms of releasing?

IMO, it depends on the release.  If it is a final production release,
there should be no SNAPSHOTS.  If it is a non-production release
(alpha, beta or milestone), SNAPSHOTS are undesirable but we can
leave them in.

> For 1.2 we'll have OpenEJB 2.2 and 2.3 SNAPSHOTs or releases.
> (David Blevins, I'm diagnosing some issues in DayTrader)

We're going to have a final release for 1.2

> For other items do we take their code and create our own SNAPSHOT?
> Where does it get stored (SVN?)

The only other SNAPSHOT is Yoko which I expect we'll get a final
release for 1.2 final.

-dain

Re: 1.2 Beta Tasks

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

On Dec 7, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2006, at 10:32 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> We have a few remaining SNAPSHOTS dependencies in the tree [2].
>> OpenEJB and Yoko are still being worked on for this release so a
>> SNAPSHOT dependency is fine.  ActiveIO and OpenJPA have released
>> versions for the code we are using and I will work to replace this
>> today.
>
> Done.
>
> We only have SNAPSHOT dependencies on Yoko, a few Geronimo specs,
> TranQL and OpenEJB.
>
> -dain

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: 1.2 Beta Tasks

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: 1.2 Beta Tasks

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 7, 2006, at 1:32 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> We only have a few remaining optional and required tasks before we
> can cut the 1.2 beta :D
>
> TASK: Review YOUR JIRAs
> -----------------------
> We have 60 JIRAs assigned to 1.2.  Please review the issues
> assigned to you, and if you do not plan on fixing them in the next
> say 7 days move out of 1.2.  Those with JIRAs remaining [1] at the
> end of the release will be shamed :)

I'll have a look at my Jira's.

> Other Tasks
> -----------
> Normally legal is the biggest problem, and Kevan has done a
> wonderful in this area.  FWIU, the only remaining legal issue is
> the presence Sun schemas and dtds in the servlet and jsp spec jars,
> and Kevan is working to find out if they are a real problem.  Any
> thing else I missed Kevan?

Tomcat distributions contain the same xsd's/dtd's that our specs
contain. I've sent a note to dev@tomcat concerning their rights to
redistribute the files. Initial response was that their use is
covered by  original donation of Tomcat by Sun to the ASF. I don't
have access to the Foundation documents that describe the donation.
So, I have no way of verifying this...

Tomcat has placed an ASF license header on these schemas. But they
also contain the Sun copyright and license restrictions. If I don't
hear back from the Tomcat crowd, soon. I guess I'll follow up on
legal-discuss.

> We have a few remaining SNAPSHOTS dependencies in the tree [2].
> OpenEJB and Yoko are still being worked on for this release so a
> SNAPSHOT dependency is fine.  ActiveIO and OpenJPA have released
> versions for the code we are using and I will work to replace this
> today.  Matt promised me a release of TranQL for this release, and
> I am hoping to get this today.

Since OpenEJB has never been through the incubator process, I'm not
so sure about shipping a snapshot. I don't think incubator would be
too happy about that. I have some updates to openejb (to help get it
ready for a release) which I hope to commit soon. I've sent a note to
dev@openejb about getting openejb release ready... Hmm. I see that
Yoko's M1 release vote is still running

--kevan

Re: 1.2 Beta Tasks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the nudge dain,

I went through and fixed/closed/moved all my 1.2 jiras... now its
someone else's fault :-)

thanks
david jencks